App similar to KaniWani for audion recognition?

I’ve been using WaniKani for a while, and it’s been immensely helpful for reading and learning vocabulary in general. In parallel, I’ve been studying grammar, and practicing listening and speaking.

That being said, currently the place where I feel WaniKani is lacking is in recalling words from English prompts or audion — and because of that, I feel that sometimes speaking and listening are more complicated than reading, since I have a harder time coming up with a word, or recognizing the sounds without a visual cue.

So I’d been thinking I could add the vocab I’m learning on WaniKani to Anki (either manually, or most certainly there are decks somewhere out there), and use that solely for those two — but then I found https://kaniwani.com/, and realized that does half of the job. So I was wondering, as annoying as it may be to have to use more apps, if there is something similar to KaniWani for audion recognition.

Sorry if there’s an answer for this already somewhere out there, but I wasn’t able to find it. Thanks! ~~~

2 Likes

I’m sorry, do you mean an app that would tell you Japanese word and you’d need to type its meaning or an app that would tell you description of the word in English and you would need to type the word?

In any case, while this is not an app, here is something that might help you with listening practice:

1 Like

I mean an app that would play a Japanese word, and that I’d need to type the meaning in English.

Essentially, ideally for me I’d have:

• Kanji shows, I type Japanese reading — WaniKani does this
  • Kanji shows, I type English meaning — WaniKani does this
  • English meaning shows, I type Japanese reading — KaniWani does this
  • Japanese audio plays, I type English meaning — I don’t have an app that does this with WaniKani’s vocab (unless I do something with Anki myself)

Does that make sense? Hope that clarifies the ask :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I see, thank you for clarification. Well, I don’t know about such app, but keep in mind that Japanese has loads of homonyms, so, without context it would be impossible to guess which word you need to type…

Like, for example, 高校 and 孝行 are both こうこう… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

The script Self Study Quiz will do what you want except there is no SRS.

2 Likes

The WaniKani Self-Study Quiz Userscript has an audio quiz option that does exactly this.

You can configure it under the questions to only ask you for the meaning and the items to only cover vocabulary + kana vocabulary for whatever combination of WK level and SRS levels you desire.

3 Likes

There is a cloze-type audio quiz website with SRS, but uses anime and movie phrases, rather than WaniKani vocabularies. I forgot the name. There might also be alternatives with the same idea.

I can do the same in Anki, but I still need sentence audio. Vocabularies in WaniKani, with sentence cloze, can be added to Anki via Yomitan (Yomichan).

2 Likes

Definitely can lead to some confusion, but that’s why I compared it to KaniWani — KaniWani mentions what part of speech it’s asking for, for instance, which would go a long way for some of these. Additionally, I’m thinking the intonation on these would potentially help on occasion. All that being said, there would still be a lot of room for mistakes, indeed.

1 Like

hmm, I’ll look into this, but another answer suggests this doesn’t do the SRS part, which I’d still appreciate having

2 Likes

It’s not similar to kaniwani, however, the audio recognition games here are really good, and it takes you a step beyond word recognition, to listening to dialogues and choosing the relevant answer. https://blog.lingodeer.com/lingodeer-plus/

It might suit your needs.

1 Like

True, it doesn’t do the SRS part. I personally tend to use anki for anything that I want to do SRS things with where the system doesn’t already support it.

1 Like

Sounds like Umi? Tried it a while ago but don’t use it but your description reminded me of that.

Torii-SRS may be what you are looking for. It does input-style lessons and reviews like Wanikani, and also has an audio review mode that will mix in audio-only with your regular reviews (mine is turned off but you can see the option in the screenshot) and it’s free :slight_smile:

normal reviews look just like wk:

their browser version is currently in beta but you can either use it as a computer app or on your phone

3 Likes

You can do this on Kitsun.io, these filter options are on their 10k deck that you can isolate the layout filtering in the deck settings. You can also filter by WK level too to match what you want to work on. I don’t know if other platforms do this but you can enable sibling delay so your are not spoiling your study session by having both Eng->Jp and Jp->Eng in the same review pattern but separate the review session. There is also the sentences in the same deck that you can enable, which is probably more useful to get out of the homonym hell-loop that trunklayer alluded to (and more practical) but you have both options to practice how you wish.

1 Like