[App] Japanese (previously known as Bunpo - Japanese Learning)

Hi all, I just wanted to tell you there’s a (I think new) app, and that it’s awesome. It has grammar from pre-level N5 all the way up to N1, it’s divided in nice lessons and it has an SRS. There’s also the possibility to ask native speakers questions about grammar points and they’re usually quick to respond.

And, if this wasn’t enough, the app offers almost everything for free, but for people who want the SRS and some other nice features, membership is very fairly priced: lifetime is just £27.99! A refreshing change from a lot of other very greedy services that offer much less and cost much more!

https://getbunpo.com/

24 Likes

…I wish these apps would diversify with their names.

28 Likes

For real. It’s not till I was clicking on the link that I realized it wasn’t bunpro

7 Likes

Same. Read it as bunpro too.

3 Likes

I would go past the name and appreciate the content, which is really really great. It has a huge range of examples, grammar notes, native speakers answering your questions and even cute drawings.

7 Likes

Not insulting the app. Least not personally. It just gets really confusing.

4 Likes

I edited the title so this should clarify it’s a different app :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I saw the app just last night. I was a bit confused. Why does Bunpro looks like this and why it says I don’t have it on my phone? Oh waaaait, it’s not Bunpro, it’s Bunpo. Huh, that’s something.
The app is nice, I like it. Simple and quite easy to understand. It’s a good extra for grammar. Love the clean look and I am amazed it’s free. I hope the name won’t be a problem for them. :smile:

5 Likes

Shouldn’t be. Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary

6 Likes

I’ll give it a try since my grammar is really lacking

2 Likes

It won’t be. It’s just the Japanese word for grammar, and you can’t patent common words like that. Also, Bunpro doesn’t even have an app currently, so if anything else’s these guys came first (at least on the App Store)

3 Likes

Well, i know they won’t get in trouble with Bunpro bc of patents. I was thinking maybe it will be a bit confusing for the clients. But both can be used for grammar,so that’s good! And Bunpro has an Android app. I have it on my phone. It’s still beta, a bit buggy but works.

4 Likes

Tried this app about half a year a go but it was so full of frustrating bugs I couldn’t use it. Maybe I’ll give it another spin and see if things have improved. Offline audio would be nice, too.

1 Like

Yeah, it does seem a bit buggy… I just had a go, did a couple of the quiz sections, and I needed to force close the app and open it again in order for it to display my progress. Not confidence inspiring, but there’s no harm in using it for extra practice.

Funny… I just learned this level 15 vocab yesterday. My first thought was: so that’s how Bunpro got it’s name.

2 Likes

Yup, this was what i was saying about getting in trouble with clients.

Why is it just an app, though? I don’t want to learn grammar on a small phone screen…

4 Likes

If I have to guess, it’s because most people use smartphones or tablets nowadays, also LingoDeer started as app-only and only now is developing a web based app.

Try telling the developers about this, I suppose if enough people express the same desire they will be more encouraged to develop something that can also be used on computers.

But the product it’s organised to be smartphone friendly: each page has only a few rows of text, so the font size is no smaller (if not bigger) than the average website when viewed on a computer.

3 Likes

I guess. That’d mean there’s less information on the screen, though…
I just don’t understand why they developed a dedicated app instead of developing a website which can be displayed on any device. It even makes sense from a business perspective to do it like that.

3 Likes

It looks neat! Unfortunately I recently broke my smartphone haha but I will be bookmarking their website for when I get a new one.

1 Like