Anyone going to try Nativshark?

I agree that it looks like it will be good if they can pull it off and everything is effective. How will you make your decision? I may consider as well.

1 Like

On a whim, most likely

14 Likes

I would hold off until they actually release content suitable to you. What happens if the whole company goes under before they even release anything useful? You don’t get your money back at least.

Their terms of service is a big “F*** you” in essence where you have basically no say in anything.

The materials on Company’s web site are provided ‘as is’. Company makes no warranties, expressed or implied, and hereby disclaims and negates all other warranties, including without limitation, implied warranties or conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement of intellectual property or other violation of rights. Further, Company does not warrant or make any representations concerning the accuracy, likely results, or reliability of the use of the materials on its Internet web site or otherwise relating to such materials or on any sites linked to this site.

This license shall automatically terminate if you violate any of these restrictions and may be terminated by Company at any time.

Ugh.

4 Likes

The problem then is that it would be $1500 for lifetime, and probably at least $15 for monthly.

Seems pretty standard to me

4 Likes

I think that’s why they are doing such a FOMO marketing. Big red flag. But it’s up to you. Hoping of course everything is fine.

6 Likes

I don’t think anyone’s mentioned this yet: the lifetime membership as currently offered includes a download of all of the NihongoShark materials, including all their JLPT lessons. (Also flashcards, audio loops, etc.) I’m not sure why these lessons aren’t being ported directly into the new system - I guess they want to integrate all the fancy new tools with them first? shrug So there is a fair bit of material available immediately, just in PDF form rather than directly on the website.

I’m assuming the high anticipated lifetime price is taking into account their plans to eventually include other languages. I don’t know how quickly I’d count on that material being made, though.

Unrelated, up until now I’d never looked at the new front page of the site - just previews of the upcoming tool pages and stuff. Y-i-k-e-s.

2 Likes

Does anyone know how they expect you to master the grammar points the teach? When I look at their plans it’s just a list of grammar points, and I see nothing about how they intend to teach them to you. If it’s just a dictionary of grammar points then that’s ridiculous

I signed up for free and reviewed the only Phase 3 grammar point available.They give an explanation and examples, but that’s it. There is a little note at the bottom saying that they will be adding a quiz at some point. No mention of SRS or anything.

I don’t use grammar explanations in English. I look at the structure and learn by examples in Japanese, like in proper JLPT prep books…

2 Likes

I might just stick with Kanzen Master, then. That’s J-J, which is nice

Same here -

In response to asking what they will do in terms of reinforcement of grammar

2 Likes

Asked about J-J localisation too

1 Like

I’m currently on the fence about getting the lifetime sale for this; I was planning on using NihongoShark before this new rebranding, however, after reading through this thread, I’m not so sure.

The main thing my studies are lacking is a quality grammar resource; any suggestions here?

Also, are you thinking you’ll pursue NativShark? I’m a tad unsure that it’s the best investment for me to make with my time and money.

I can only speak for what I’ve used myself. I never used NihongoShark. I’ve gone through Genki I, Genki II, Tobira, and all the Kanzen Master books, and I use the Grammar Dictionary series for looking things up. They are all good, imo.

I don’t know yet. The guys over on the Discord server seem pretty excited about it, though. I guess they’re about as attached to NS as WK users are to WK.

2 Likes

I wish I could give you multiple hearts, this comment is gold.

5 Likes

If you were thinking about getting NihongoShark before, you probably shouldn’t let yourself influence by this thread too much. There are four negative things mentioned:

• Their sale front page (you’ll never use that in the course)
  • Their kanji learning is not as comprehensive as WK (you already have WK for that)
  • They don’t seem to have an SRS for grammar (but apparently they will)
  • 1500€ to 250€ seems like FOMO marketing move (but it’s far less than the old NihongoShark lifetime)

Noone here knows how good the new Nativshark is going to be, but I guess it’s probably going to be better than NihongoShark at the very least?

(As for me though, I hate to buy things blindly, so I’d probably not go with it. A bit on the fence tho.)

3 Likes

Lol

15 Likes

2 Likes

They are planning on providing and API, so we would able to script on there too, eventually

Dang, that sounds pretty good to me. Idk about WK being a “cesspool of hate” though…

5 Likes