My Review of WaniKani after 2 Years

I bought a lifetime subscription after about a year of using it and I do think it’s probably the best learning resource out there. But there’s a bunch of quirks that kind of drive me NUTS D: so I decided to make a video review haha : D

103 Likes

Very nice review! Liked the background music :smiley:

• Agree with Matt’s urine (:man_facepalming: ), but my problem wasn’t really the silliness of the mnemonic, but rather because when I say まつり, I don’t hear anything even remotely close to “Matt’s urine” :stuck_out_tongue: , hence for me those are 2 entirely different things.

• Good point on mentioning the 1 year thing. We had quite some fiery discussions on this recently.

• I initially thought that kanji being repeated as radicals isn’t a good idea, but it does play well into the SRS and further enforces already known characters, so I would say that’s fine.

Also, so modest about your English :joy:

8 Likes

Maplestory music? Instant like for the nostalgia

5 Likes

what’s this about?

3 Likes

WaniKani advertises itself with the notion that you can do all the kanji it teaches in “little over a year” (or some such). I don’t want to start another flaming turtle here, though :stuck_out_tongue: .

ninja’d by @Lahoje

5 Likes

oh I see.
Yeah I remember reading about something like that. There’s also another major issue with that wording, in that it leads you to believe you’ll learn all the kanjis in 1 year so I guess many people will buy the 1 year subscription… too bad it doesn’t tell you that when the subscription expires you won’t be able to burn all the items you learned in the past ~6 months, so you’ll have to either buy another year, transfer all the items to another SRS, or just not burn the pending items, which is by far the most important step.

But I don’t wanna derail the thread so it’s better to leave it like that, I’ll keep my criticism about WK for my level 60 thread guess :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Well…tbf you definitely can

4 Likes

Blockquote

heeeeeellllll yeah : D

1 Like

Yeah part of why it sounds so dumb is that it doesn’t really fit, and yet it somehow STILL makes it work as a mnemonic for me so well. I don’t know. lol D:

The kanji → radicals thing I didn’t think was like, a gigantic issue, but just seemed kind of unnecessary haha.

Also as far as the English thing I do have a degree in English and Professional Communication so, haha : D

3 Likes

Okay I’ve only watched the first 20 seconds so far but I already like it

2 Likes

To be fair to WK I think it’s like a reasonable thing to advertise since the limitation here is less of one with WaniKani and more the concept of learning all the kanji in a year, which WaniKani indirectly teaches you is crazy, but at least for me didn’t discourage me from learning kanji, or using WK, since it becomes rapidly apparent as you use it that it’s probably the best way you’d even be able to even attempt this.

1 Like

Now I’ve watched the whole video and man, I really like you and that video, it was really well done :+1:

1 Like

I think the one I liked the most so far was for 鮮やか, because I remembered アザ as this really bad Japanglish :joy: Works every time!

1 Like

That’s actually one that stood out to me too haha : D

1 Like

Thank you friend that means a lot : D

1 Like

That was a great video! Not sure how scripted that was, but your ease and style of talking was really engaging. Also, hello fellow Canadian!

Perhaps, the only thing that could have been mentioned is something about grammar.

Keep up the great work!

P.S. Your Naruto-style running B-roll earned you a subscriber, haha.

2 Likes

I really enjoyed hearing your take :slight_smile: An informative and balanced video about Wanikani.

Also, thank you for featuring the guide! I bet you opted out of saying jprspereiraadshkjhkjshdkjsahdja in the video :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

It really is a mystery to me how to pronounce your username, but I guess I’m not allowed to complain with my current one :laughing:

5 Likes

Just call me JP :slight_smile:

8 Likes