Anyone else continuously mess up the same things for long periods of time?

Seriously, I use the “undo” button for stuff like that. Call me a dirty cheater. :rofl:

2 Likes

Remembering when 月 reads as がつ、げつ or つき in various expressions is the one I can’t get down.

6 Likes

I feel your pain, I have been making annoying mistakes also. I have tortuous mnemonics (like the 'o’s in kokonotsu looking a bit like coconuts, and they’re all 'o’s - I always put an a in by mistake - “9” concievably also has its round coconut. For 8, I try to see the shape of the yacht sail in the kanji. But where does that leave you with youka - yep nowhere, which is why I muddle the two up. When you open a yoghurt the lid and the pot form two circles like an 8).

In retrospect I think the idea of counting everything around you all the time must be the way to go! Possibly it would have helped if WK had done the counters in order, so I had the whole list to practise with early on. But who knows :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Exactly. But sometimes I actually feel my brain give up the struggle and give me the right answer! As though it’s more trouble to argue and less to just give me what I want :slight_smile:

1 Like

Somebody feel free to correct me on this, but:

つき generally applies for when you’re talking about the moon (think 月姫) or when it’s something that recurs every month (毎月)
がつ is for talking about specific months, like “January” or “May”
げつ is for talking about months as a time frame, like “one month” or “three months”

7 Likes

Extra studying doesn’t cheat the SRS system. The scientific literature on this topic was researched by @MegaZeroX They found that extra studying outside the SRS schedule improves retention of items. The trick is to avoid the studying just before a review.

The two best script for studying leeches are in my opinion Leech Training and Item Inspector.. The difference is in how you study the leeches.

• Leech Training will set up a quiz for your leeches.
  • Item Inspector will display your leeches in tabular form, You recite the readings and meanings of your items and move the mouve over the item to reveal the answer in a popup.

Item Inspector also has features like export and audio. There is integration with Self Study Quiz to get you quizzed on your leeches. Also Item Inspector is not just for leeches. It can query, filter, sort and display your items in ways that answer various questions about items.

Disclosure: I am the author of Item Inspector.

8 Likes

I’ve a load from level one I just can’t seem to get and a totally different group that I always say right in my head as I do them but always type out wrong for some reason.

1 Like

b8c8f3de212cb576b5828d3873e424dd6be426e3_hq

I was going to post some of those links! :triumph: But, I see you’ve made sure OP gets them all! XD

2 Likes

giphy

3 Likes

I’ve still got some leeches from the first five levels, so the answer to the OP’s question is a definite yes…

1 Like

Me too, I have no problem with that. If the app stops me, lets me think, and I come up with a correct translation on my own, I still count it, even if on the second try. The idea is to learn it, not to keep the score;)

1 Like

The magic of rendaku (連濁) :rofl:

1 Like

Yes, I call it my life.

2 Likes

:pensive:

4 Likes

Ooof yeah this and Entity447B’s message made me feel a bit better, I had seen the word leech but didn’t really know what it meant lol. And thank you guys for the scripts, will definitely be using those along with the plethora of other scripts I’m already using!

Me every freaking time I see 部屋:

“Clown room. Clown room? The clown store. Wait. Clown department store. Department store. Part store? Part room. What?”

…and the worst freaking part is as soon as the app is like “bruh it’s just room, it’s your old pal へや remember” I’m like AAAA OF COURSE IT IS ONE OF THE FIRST JAPANESE WORDS I LEARNED LITERALLY 12 YEARS AGO BUT JUST NEVER KNEW THE KANJI FOR AAAA :confounded:

4 Likes

I do this too. :smiley: I started when I first learned numbers and now I use counters.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. I’ve got Kanji from level 6 that I haven’t burned after almost 2 years. :wink:

You’ll inevitably carry around some leeches but that’s ok. Steady forward progress is the main thing.

2 Likes

Somehow I got it in my head that 口 is くさ (instead of くち). So I keep having to review 早口 because I keep writing はやくさ DX
I wrote はやくち an hour ago. Hopefully I keep it up and it can get out of my apprentice pile some day.

That’s all I do. Good to know I’m not the only one.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.