Anyone doing / did AJATT?

Come on, man. You know he didn’t mean the very concept of spaced repitition learning. He was referring to spaced repetition software. It was a game changer in the language learning industry when at the time no one could see past using text books and classroom learning.

Everyone and their mother has already covered this topic, so I don’t particularly have anything to add.

I just find it a little bit ironic that all of Matt’s videos are in English. The AJATT method advocates, well, only Japanese, yeah? So I feel like it would make a lot more sense if all – or at least the majority – of his videos were actually in Japanese. :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

I can’t speak of AJATT’s concept of immersion for Japanese because I haven’t tried it yet, I don’t feel quite ready to take the plunge. I did however use very similar methods to get from intermediate to advanced in Spanish. I feel like I learned a lot more in a short space of time than I would have using traditional methods. It was a lot more fun too that boring textbook learning. I’m definitely gonna do something similar with Japanese.

There is one difference though. I don’t agree that you can just listen to hours and hours of a language without grammar learning. I think you have to do short and intense sessions of active listening exercises that are somewhat grammar focused. Then spend double that time passively listening to the language, let it wash over you and enjoy it. Your brain will eventually connect the dots between the two activities.

1 Like

Except that’s still utterly wrong. And your ignorance of the fact doesn’t change it.

And next time you respond to a comment that I made months ago, pinging me for no good reason, please have some actual information or even a minorly insightful comment rather than the same dumb answer I responded to months ago.

I will respond to whatever I please. If you thought I have pinged you for no good reason then why even bother replying? Is even any point to your general hostility? If I am in fact utterly wrong, educate me. Point me in the direction of the correct information. It would take the same amount of time and energy as the comment you just left.

Yes, the concept may have existed since the 30’s. I’m not denying that. But it took certain language learning “pioneers” to spread the word to the general public who were studying languages using dated methods.

1 Like

Hey Idiomargot! I think you’re cool and I appreciate your comments on this thread. I am rooting for you! Thanks for posting.

1 Like

I think the general advice for sentence mining is that a beginner could insert the sentences they find in the resource they are using for learning grammar (inserting the sentences from Tae Kim or whatever) since those would be appropriate for their level. They would start out just translating J=>E and then later on would move on to J=>J.
https://forum.koohii.com/thread-6504.html

I’m too lazy for sentence mining. Instead, I have generated subs2srs cards for Shirokuma Café, sorted them i+1 using Morphman and now I’m going through them one by one and I found this very helpful.
@Ncastaneda wrote a little guide about this: Subs2SRS / Morphman: how to create your own japanese trainer

1 Like

To be fair, while the original Khatzumoto version didn’t consider grammar a thing, the way they’re drawing their current timeline for AJATT (Matt) includes a period of reading Tae Kim’s (or any similar grammar resource). For about a month of so after RTK. And then, while doing sentence mining with whatever new concept you come across.

And about been all japanese for learning, well. There’s part of the timeline where you are making bilingual cards, about a year or so. He’s about to make a video on doubts about +1 sentence mining (I guess thats a topic that creates confusion even for people doing the method :sweat_smile:)

Indeed we’re missing a similar guy that put lots of hours using another approach and see if it’s not mainly a time devoted → actual ability thing the cornerstone of the whole “method”, and not AJATT itself whatever makes this work (I presume this to be the case).

I’ve been following Matt on patreon a couple of months, and he’s improving the AJATT method, so I would think he’s aware that there’re flaws within the original setup. I would guess any improvement he comes up could be applied to some number of approches for learning japanese.

I follow his discord channel because of the resources they get their hands into, which I’ve founded to be of great quality for doing some immersion (up to any degree).

I don’t liked his initial approach of degrading all other methods to proof himself right. I think himself managed to get that wasn’t the way to promote AJATT by now.

Anyway, immersion it’s something that remains to be worked over to get maximum revenues out of it; so there’s still lot to be said about it, AJATT or not.

His discord is exclusive for people from patreon, right?

Indeed, patreon only. The resources are the thing I value the most of the channel. The rest are the conversations from people doing AJATT… so far there’s quite a few… most doing currently RTK though. I wonder how many will endure to the next stage. Some people share their struggles as well, which is to be expected.

One thing that I’m getting also from the channel are all the recommendations on maximizing input quality, gadgets, and above all, meditation, as a clear and prone to absorb mind should help a lot with mantaining the rythm. :thinking:

1 Like

I think that AJATT’s greatest “achievement” is how it creates such a fanatism among some of its followers, bordering religious fanaticism. “AJATT is the best and only method to learn japanese, and if you don’t do it, you’re wrong and you should feel ashamed!”.

I didn’t watch all of it, but I think it’s funny how in the beginning of the video he says that he tried RTK but stopped after around 500 kanji because it was so freaking boring, and now he’s out there making videos trying to convince people that it’s the best method.

5 Likes

What is going on with you, Syphus? You weren’t always this mean.

I have never changed, perhaps the stupidity just increased?

8 Likes

I’m going to be really honest here: I think that my least favorite thing about AJATT and RTK is that people seem to like dropping clickbait videos to do their explaining for them. I don’t watch clickbait youtube videos, lol. At least link to a blog post, please. That takes less time out of my day to read and I don’t immediately feel like I’m contributing views to some youtuber I could care less about. And the art design on these video thumbnails, oof.

Sorry. Cranky old man post over.

6 Likes

You need to be registered to their website or whatever to be able to read articles, I believe. So exclusive.

1 Like

This guy is a little bit more transparent about the whole thing and I’d say he’s doing pretty well. He even uploaded a video of himself speaking Japanese and although not perfect he’s definitely decent and clearly doing something right.

This is him speaking Japanese

This is him explaining how he does things etc.

A certain level of immersion is definitely productive, in my own experience it helped me a lot. But I think that listening to Japanese for 18 hours per day is a bit much. I just wouldn’t enjoy that. I need some silence in my day.

1 Like

I don’t really see what the fuss is about with all the AJATT stuff. I looked a bit into that technique and noticed that I actually do some parts of it in my usual daily life, like reading and watching a lot in Japanese, but the part about not studying grammar is just stupid. Do they really believe you are going to learn a language like a child? Even a child needs a) way more than 1 to 2 years to speak properly and b) has an unbelievable amount of people correcting errors.

You have to speak (if thats what you want) and you have to speak a lot to people that a notoriously hard to convince to correct you…

I think it is a bit naive to think that AJATT alone will get you to fluency (in a specific area). Grammar is important at some point and I bet anyone who is doing AJATT does study grammar as well if a concept is not understood, they just don’t admit it or neglect it.

7 Likes

Totally agree. Even studying the grammar of your native language is beneficial.

Yeah, obviously, right?? I think sometimes AJATT wants profound status for suggesting things that to me seem… DUH!

I think AJATT is basically listen to and watch a crazy amount of content, do RTK and mine sentences and stick them into Anki. Most of us here already probably do all of that except we do WK instead of RTK.

How master Karate: AKATT

Well, actually that is physically impossible xD

1 Like

Or how to master breathing. ABAT… oh wait we already do that

1 Like