Anyone doing / did AJATT?

I mean, there’s no reason for me to “switch” to something else when I’ve already done all of WK. And I live in Japan. And consume Japanese content for hours a day. And speak for hours a day.

(And no, I’m not claiming to have reached some pinnacle, I just don’t see the reason for people to adopt this technique)

But if AJATT is the way to go, someone will prove it I guess.

3 Likes

After kanji you do learn some grammar with Tae Kim’s grammar guide (or a different grammar guide but Tae Kim’s is preferable).

That site is barely n4.

Also check out what ol’ Matty had to say when asked if he even used Wanikani.

“The only way would be for me to first un-learn the kanji so I could re-learn them with another method, but of course, that doesn’t make any sense”. So he didn’t even use the site. He stole the footage from this guy.

2 Likes

I already saw that video.

Can you link me to the topic?

Thanks, I’ll check it out.

I just read 180 of the comments on that Topic and I realized that most, if not all, of the people who commented don’t know the idea behind AJATT. They say learning kanji without the reading is useless. They missed the point of the video and many of them didn’t even watch it and most of them who did only watched the part where he references Wanikani.
I’m wasting too much of my time on this. I was looking for arguments against him and there was none. So I’m just gonna leave this and carry on with AJATT. I’m not saying “Wanikani is shit and everyone should do AJATT” I’m not saying that at all. All I’m saying is that I tried Wanikani but just found something that works better for me.

Good luck with your Japanese study.

The problem is you’re coming to the forums looking for someone to debate you on the merits of one system over the other when most people here are thoroughly invested in WaniKani already or have already finished it. Basically, no one cares about AJATT or RTK or whatever other methods there are, because they already found WaniKani and decided to go with it.

7 Likes

I know everyone here already made up their minds (like @Leebo who has already gotten lvl60 a billion times). I just thought there would be more open-minded people around. Guess I was wrong. From Matt’s video I took his criticism with a grain of salt. I first did my own research before deciding to leave Wanikani.

We are all here for the same reason: to learn Japanese. All I’m doing is commenting on other methods to reach the same goal (Japanese proficiency). With language learning you have to be flexible. You have to adapt when you see something that works better than what you were previously doing.

Stop crying and just leave already :slight_smile:

We love wanikani and we are not leaving, this site has helped me more than I could imagine, koichi’s method works great for me, so great! if AJAT works for you hey, thats great!

Good luck on with 18 months 2000 kanji tho. I think you might need it.

4 Likes

3000 kanji.

And fluency in everything.

Don’t sell him short here.

5 Likes

I don’t think anyone is telling you not to use whatever works best for you to learn Japanese. But what works best depends on the person and how much time/effort they’re able to put in, as you noted. Most of us are also tired of seeing people come in and say how X method is so much better than WK without even using WK beyond the free levels.

5 Likes

He basically said “if you’re serious about Japanese, get with the program and do AJATT, if not, then keep wallowing in WaniKani-dom.”

He later said he wasn’t saying that.

1 Like

There is no need to be a dick. Like I said previously, do your own research…or not, it’s up to you.

1 Like

Taking things out of context.
I tried opening your mind to new ideas / methods.
You can’t teach an old dog new tricks. I’m out.

I’m actually on patreon supporting Matt too. Not that I’m doing AJATT, but immersion and the material that people share in the discord channel are always welcomed.
About AJATT, I have no doubt it’s a wonderful method, albeit a very strict one, and hard to follow, but if you can endure that harcore training, why not… it’s your time, life :man_shrugging:

About WK, I have no doubts it’s a terrific method as well. Some of the comments Matt talked about (writing and context mostly) are easily corrected if you decide on doing it.
Myself I did RTK for 3 months. And choosed to look somewhere else. THe writing practice that RTK encourage I find it’s perfectly useful for WK as well. As for context. I have “my” method for aiding with context. But immersion surely do the most important part on cementing whatever I learn.

@jprspereira : about EN>JP, I decided on not doing it (KaniWani for example). Spending much more time on reading english and trying to adjust to japanese “equivalent” wasn’t much of a goal for me. I find time better spended on reading and working on recognition, since talking and writing aren’t high on my priorities now, the exception would be writing kanji, which for remembering it’s quite a good practice, at least to me. I won’t be moving to Japan or anything. Mostly consuming media it’s what I’m trying to aim.
I have no idea how this will affect my overal production in the long term, but it’s not a big concern. I think if I were very interested in talking right away, would be a different story.

Anyway, I take all these japanese learning discussions with a grain of salt. AJATT or whatever. Each one is very capable of noticing if they are getting better or not.

PS: @Jasen : I think any story about a better method, it’s a better one AFTER your get to the goal. Otherwise it’s just speculation and hopeful wishing. By the way this is an english forum, what kind of AJATTing are you into???

10 Likes

I believe you.

6 Likes

The thing that really gets to me most of the time people bring up AJATT is that it tends to be from people who are more or less just starting out learning Japanese and they see people like Matt who make them think they can reach fluency in 18-24 months or whatever if they follow the same method. Maybe they can, maybe they can’t, but I think it sends the wrong impression to new learners and doesn’t accurately represent just how difficult, if not impossible, that actually is to do. The vast majority of people also don’t have the time to follow AJATT (from what I know of it).

7 Likes