Any words of wisdom for a recently subbed guy?

Glad you’re joining us!

First: do your reviews
Second: don’t forget your reviews
Third: are you sure you currently don’t have any reviews?

25 Likes

#2 is particularly important

5 Likes

panic is always an option…as is crying…

just remember to do your reviews anyway…

7 Likes

if you miss even one day of reviews your entire life will fall to pieces

17 Likes

Do your reviews.

Also this:

My Journey of 368 days (+ The Ultimate Guide for WK 📖 )

17 Likes
  1. Create a schedule for doing your lessons and reviews. Try to account for SRS intervals to optimize your time. For example, I do my lessons and reviews before/during breakfast, then I do reviews after lunch, and in the evening. If I don’t have much time on a particular day I just do the reviews.

2. Don’t skip vocab lessons. Try to split the vocab lessons into manageable groups and do them daily.

3. Realize you’re in for a marathon, not a sprint :wink: Adjust your pace to retain as much of the learnt material as possible. Don’t rush.

9 Likes

Don’t get the reorder script. If you do - no don’t.

17 Likes

I forgot to do my reviews for 2 days and now I have 500. Do your reviews

8 Likes

whatever you do don’t forget to do your reviews.

(also try to use the 4-8-24h intervals)

5 Likes

Sage advice. Same goes for @jollydarkwraith.

4 Likes

you should totally get the reorder script :smiling_imp:

5 Likes
10 Likes

Do all your reviews and pace your lessons.

It will be harder to memorize all this kanji and vocabulary in a vacuum. Other Japanese studying you do will make your life here easier.

8 Likes

Make sure to get your free stickers for passing level three.

15 Likes

Just remember, you are a vacuum cleaner! You will suck and you will go back and forth over the same things again and again only picking up a little bit at a time. But, eventually, you’ll start to notice that everything you picked up is crammed inside and you’ll be amazed at how effective you really can be if you just keep trying.

Ok I don’t know whether to laugh at what I just wrote or be amazed at how deep that was. :joy::astonished::exploding_head:

25 Likes

At the very least, if you don’t do your reviews on the 4/8/24h etc schedule, do them twice a day.

Or, in simpler terms: do your reviews.

Also, resist the urge to do all your lessons at once. I didn’t figure this out for over 40 levels and man it makes all the difference.

5 Likes

My humble piece of advice would be: don’t overwhelm yourself with countless reviews… test your lessons-per-day throughput a lot instead of going all crazy and finishing all of them as soon as they appear in your queue. Of course if you have the time just go ahead and do it, otherwise (i.e. you have a limited time to invest in your japanese studies) start with something like 15 lessons/day and slowly adjust until you find the perfect fit for you.

Also, keep it going… it’s been very rewarding so far, being able to recognize a lot of kanji in other places that are part of my study routine, hope it will happen with you too!

4 Likes

Just don’t forget to empty it regularly, else the vacuum won’t be as strong

6 Likes

Don’t blow through all your lessons at once.

Don’t abuse the ignore script.

Don’t neglect grammar study. (Or do, if you don’t mind another long haul after kanji to internalize basic grammar.)

6 Likes