Any vocab/place names with kun'yomi for 国⁇

I’m having trouble remembering the kun’yomi for country. I’m curious if there are any place names that I might have heard of that use the reading くに?

I’m just looking for something to help it stick better.

There’s a top division rikishi in Grand Sumo with the name Chiyonokuni (千代の国), that’s how I would remember it. You also get a pretty obscure reading for 代 as an added bonus!

2 Likes

I think 国 itself is going to be a much more common word than anything else using the reading くに. You’re probably better off drilling it or reinforcing it by reading news articles about politics or international relations or something.

1 Like

二ノ国 (ni no kuni)

Yeah, the game. :smile:

7 Likes

Like the (in-)famous Yasukuni shrine ? WaniKani / Vocabulary / 靖国神社

1 Like

島国
しまぐに
island nation

japan and UK are good examples for this

4 Likes

紀伊國屋 (きのくにや) the 書店 (しょてん, bookstore) : D
I order from them sometimes.

國 is a variant of 国

I can’t be the only one using a sexual mnemonic for くに :sweat_smile: or are you all pretending ? :thinking:

2 Likes

6 Likes

Maybe you can use Clooney, as in ‘George Clooney has to leave the くに because he forgot his “L”’ (elbow).

2 Likes

How about ワノ国 from One Piece? :wink:

5 Likes

This went over my head.

1 Like

If my guess is right about what they mean, the pronunciation would be wrong, which is why people probably aren’t thinking of it.

I still have no idea.

Cunnilingus

1 Like

Usually I’m the only one who doesn’t understand these jokes :sweat_smile: It’s nice to know I’m not the only one not getting it though!

国中 - くにじゅう - all over the country, throughout the nation

there’s also 宝石の国

1 Like

Are we all forgetting that くに is used in the Sailor Moon theme song??? Honestly, people. It’s like you didn’t already know the reading before WK…

That
Pronunciation
Hurts me

FIGHTING EVIL BY MOONLIGHT
WINNING LOVE BY DAYLIGHT
NEVER RUNNING FROM A REAL FIGHT

Nah I don’t see any kuni in there

:wink:

3 Likes