Any tips or scripts to speed run wanikani w/o dying?

I know it’s like cheating and will mess up the review spaced repetition, but I learn kanji pretty quick but vocab kinda slow, so does anyone have any recommendations? Scripts that take away vocab even?

EDIT: So I already know a lot of the vocab in wanikani bc i’ve been a japanese speaker for a long time, but I love wanikani’s method more than anything as I learn kanji extremely fast here - I kinda am just aiming to get to 30-35 levels esp bf I go to Japan this winter, so that’s why I wanted to see if I could speed run this

The definitive guide to doing WaniKani (fast or slow) is this one.

I wouldn’t recommend skipping the vocab. The kanji lessons only teach you one, sometimes two of the readings. The rest are taught through vocab lessons. If you really don’t want to do vocab lessons, then I would suggest picking a different system rather than WK.

4 Likes

Thank you!

Vocab (especially in the later levels) is in my opinion more important than the kanji, you really shouldn’t be skipping it.

4 Likes

Not to mention, if you abuse a script to skip the vocab, you can’t reach the lv 60 of WK. You can only have SO many pending lessons that you haven’t done.

There was a user that did just that, only to get stuck at level 50-something, with 0 hope of ever completing WK because they had just kept on skipping vocab.

@aoiyeyo The vocab should be viewed as the fun part of WK, that’s when you learn how to make use of kanji after all. And you learn all extra readings that are common as well, as been pointed out by @fallynleaf I would do them in bulk even, since if you’ve managed to learn the kanji, then the majority of the vocab are reinforcements for the same thing, and should be a breeze. the only vocab taking more effort will be those that give you additional readings for sure, and then they’re equally important as learning the first reading with the kanji lesson. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can though. Just only take on the kanji lessons and radicals and that’ll get you there.

1 Like

But there was a user that claimed they could not? :eyes: I’m not making that up. I’ll do some digging and see if I can dig up the thread they created.

Edit: I just don’t remember the title they used. There are too many threads about reaching lv 60 (or not).

1 Like

I’m sure you’re not, but that user probably just couldn’t figure it out to be honest. I can personally attest that it works because I did it myself.

2 Likes

Thanks for correcting that then! :eyes: I would never have suspected someone lying about something like that. So you did entire WK with just radicals and kanji lessons? (lv 1 -60)

2 Likes

No, not all of it. But I have a bit over 1500 vocab left undone. I started sometime a bit after the fast levels started I think.

2 Likes

Then it could just be that they didn’t lie about it. :eyes: if you completely skip vocab lessons, you’ll end up with 2000 or more pending lessons. I can’t remember clearly which level that user reached, but somewhere around 56-57 or something, when they claimed they could not add more lessons.

1 Like

Yess! Thank you for this - I’m gonna rewrite my question though. Bc I know a lot of Japanese words already bc I’ve been speaking it since birth, but kanji is iffy and I really love wk’s method but it’s just so many lessons. I wanna increase my kanji reading ability, so I can read signs n stuff better when I go to visit. I feel like I know a lot of compound/kanji words when I read novels, but I just can’t read it. Thank you sm for the response though, I may have to push through/try something else

2 Likes

I guess, since you’re already lv 20 and presumably have been doing both kanji and vocab lessons so far, then you should be able to skip all further vocab lessons and reach lv 60 if you so choose? Is my take on this.

I do think it’s very hard to go back to do vocab lessons from the lower levels, once you’ve progressed. It’s not a great experience from the sounds of it, from those that keep skipping vocab lessons from time to time (not permanently).

1 Like

Ok! Is there a script for that? Probably… they pile up so fast :pensive:

This is so alien to me, but I know you’re not alone! (Laugh)

I also had a reasonable vocabulary before starting WK, thoug likely not as advanced as yours (I’m not Japanese, but my wife and kids are fluent and I’m pretty comfortable in either country, but MUCH more fluent in English).

I can’t even wrap my brain around finding vocabulary harder. Neither can I imagine learning kanji without lots of vocabulary to put characters in context and learn the various readings.

Seriously: to me, kanji is like absolute learning (gps coordinates) and vocabulary is relative (dead reckoning). With kanji, you either know it or you don’t. But with vocabulary you’ve got clues, if that makes sense.

I can’t imagine learning kanji without vocabulary! Neither can I imagine vocab seeming harder.

But I must be missing something, because this isn’t the first time I’ve heard this. How can vocab seem harder? Even for unfamiliar words the underlying kanji gives you clues regarding meaning, and often as not for 熟語 readings as well.

I’m really confused by this.

4 Likes

Also, here’s a user who made it through hmjust doing kanji and radicals, then went back to finish the vocabulary (again beyond my ken):

3 Likes

Well, don’t say I didn’t warn you. I think vocab are the easiest to do, especially if you know several words from before. I had done a lot of immersion learning before starting WK, so for me vocab was a breeze most of the time.

1 Like

Alternatively you could do all the lessons but only do the Kanji and radical reviews. I know flaming durtles lets you have a priority setting for reviews.

1 Like

My experience so far is that with many of the multi-meaning kanji, without the vocab I’d miss a lot of the other meanings - for example, if I know there are multiple meanings for something like 直, I can make the effort to alternate fix and direct in the answers, but for others, I might just totally forget there’s more meanings than the one which sticks the fastest, so I think you’d also need something to avoid falling into the trap and losing kanji meanings.

1 Like

Hii! Late reply, but the reason I say vocabulary is because mostly the wanikani system. It’s mostlly that I’ll know vocabulary but the word input is something I forget and keep forgetting so it piles up. Like just know, いい加減 - I know this in Japanese - not really in English, so everytime WK asks for the english translation I get it wrong. And then I mix up my translation for theirs and the mistake gets instilled. For me Kanji is easy because I’m able to memorize the meaning (I prioritize meaning over sound) with ease usually because I’ve seen it already or I recognize the parts and it’s only one association. Then the on-yomi is also pretty easy to remember since there’s so few sounds and I already know words with it!