Any third party third party apps you would recommend to stop reviews from adding up?

Hey guys. I’ve been on WaniKani for a while but if I’m honest I have taken several vacation periods at times because it just gets too overwhelming at some points. I have realized feeling almost obligated to do my reviews at a certain time of the day and leave anything else I’m doing at that moment is just not working for me anymore, but I really want to finish all levels.

Do you know of any app I could use so that my reviews don’t add up if I don’t do them in time or something like that? I usually have around 150 reviews in the morning and 150 in the afternoon. which takes me around 45 min to an hour.

I just wish I didn’t have to worry about having to do 250+ the next day in the morning if I forget to do the afternoon reviews for example.

Any tips?

1 Like

Which bit of it is bothering you?

• The fact that there are lots of reviews
  • The fact that you can see there are lots of reviews

If it’s the latter then @Kumirei made a script for lessons that will show them as 0 if you’re over a certain number of apprentice items. I’m sure something similar is possible for reviews, so if you’ve got 250, it only shows as 20. Then you could pair it with @seanblue’s overdue review prioritiser script so you always got the ones that have been in the queue the longest when you hit the review button. Then you could just do the reviews when you feel like it and not feel the pressure of a massive stack of reviews all the time.

If it’s the former, then I’m afraid I don’t personally have any recommendations. The usual recommendation would be a behaviour change rather than a script. Simply stopping doing lessons until your number of reviews drops might be the best way to save you from getting entirely swamped.

7 Likes

Hmm, I hadn’t thought about it that way. Might give it a try to see how that works out for me. Thank you!

No problem!

I know what it’s like to have a ton of reviews. I took a 7 month break without engaging vacation mode and came back to nearly 1000 reviews to do. Chipping them away in blocks of a couple of hundred for a week led me to have a few hundred reviews a day for a couple of weeks and it was… busy.

I hope you managed to find a rhythm that works for you :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s about twice as many reviews as I have on a daily basis.

The problem is you’ll need a few months to get that in check. The usual advice is to keep your Apprentice count around 100 and to spread out lessons.

Your review count is going to be a mix of the following:

• Apprentice Items: Whatever your Apprentice count is. And these are going to come up over the next 2 days. This one you can have some control over.
  • Guru Items: Determined about a week ago.
  • Master Items: Determined 2 weeks ago.
  • Enlightened Items: Determined a month ago.
  • Burn Items: Determined 4 months ago.

So if you’ve been stacking lots of lessons per day, then you’re going to see a large number of reviews per day down the line.

If you stop lessons until you get your Apprentice count down, you should reduce the number of daily reviews you have.

2 Likes

The review count display used to stop at “42+”. I’m pretty sure when they removed that, someone made a script to put it back, but I can’t seem to find it at the moment…

Yeah, I remember having to install the script to make it a real number and think I can remember seeing the script to revert, but likewise haven’t the google-fu to find it apparently.

I checked and it’s not my script

2 Likes

Not quite the same thing, but I made a script that replaces the numbers by categories (i.e. 0: “none”; <42: “light”; <200: “medium”; >=200: “heavy”).
It’s possible to edit the numbers in the script if even that is too much.

3 Likes