Any plans to support user added kanji/vocab?

Really I’m looking for a place to study material I find “in the wild”, such as reading news, reading manga, or watching anime. Right now, most of those words just get forgotten.

I like Houhou, but it has the significant downside of not being available on my phone. And like I said, I just don’t like Anki. I suppose I could use iknow for this (I’m already subscribed), but I think WaniKani’s system is better.

1 Like

I guess this answers some questions about extra level/vocab.

1 Like

Extra vocabs aren’t hard to be remembered in my opinion. Once you know both Kun and On readings, it is easy. But for new Kanji, I have to follow WaniKani method.

WaniKani missed about 200 Joyo Kanji, and that probably wouldn’t properly split into existing 60 levels… Better add more levels to fit this.

But I know WaniKani won’t.

2 Likes

A lot of the kanji that are joyo-but-not-on-WK are very rare, represent words usually written with kana, or are alternative versions of words commonly written with other kanji.

I don’t know that the mere fact that the government of Japan puts them into a specific list makes them worthy of expanding the levels.

1 Like

About some Joyo Kanji, what I do in my extra levels, is checking with Aozora Bunko…

Yeah, many are replaced by another Kanji. Some are less used. 璽…

I do wonder though what their rationale is wrt putting those rare items on the list. Does it not seem a bit… unnecessary?

Well, I guess, for a Japanese adult, they probably get a bit more utility out of that knowledge than the typical learner will. They learn well beyond the ones on that list, the list just represents what the government mandates.

But I think it’d be silly for WK to add something like 蚕, which is a grade 6 kanji for Japanese students, because when are we going to talk about silkworms as learners? When I was studying for Kanken, which was focused on grade 6 kanji, my girlfriend couldn’t remember how to write that one. Because seriously, who cares about silkworms.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.