Any good free resources for reading out there?

So I’m currently reading on NHK Easy Japanese news and I’ve read most of the free books on tadoku. I would like something that isn’t manga because I had been collecting manga during a bad time in my life, and I sold off my entire collection so I don’t want anything to do with manga or anime anymore haha, but any other resources would really be appreciated! Just for an idea of what my level is, I can read a lot of the level 3 books on Tadoku as well as on level 4.

I really enjoyed this sample on Tadoku’s website, 世界のどこかで、日本のどこかで ~本当にあった話~ – にほんごたどく I’m looking for something like this but isn’t a graded reader. I found it super enjoyable! Sorry if this post is all over the place, it’s my first one. Thank you in advance! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just checked what Tadoku level 3 and 4 are and I think you should be able to enjoy this illustrated story I made not so long ago. The Tile World Chronicles

There are more Graded readers than the Tadoku ones. Someone is collecting them on this site : Free Reading Resources . Make sure to check the jrpg sakura ones.

1 Like

Thanks so much for these resources! These are going to help out a ton, thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have you looked into Satori reader? Otherwise try jumping into some lighter native books. You can check on something like https://learnnatively.com/ or Novel difficulty list – jpdb how hard a particular story is rated and look for 試し読み online to get a feel for the story and if it is something for you.

EDIT: Sorry I missed the free. Just ignore my post. I leave it up there anyways to let everyone see how well I can read english…

2 Likes

If you really want to jump off the deep end, ncode.syosetu.com has the original web novels for a bunch of popular series.

For example, here’s 蜘蛛ですが、なにか?(So I’m a Spider, So What?)

Or 転生したらスライムだった件 (That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime)

The web novels lack some of the editing and polishing that happens when they get professionally published, but they’re still pretty good as is.

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it ! Anything will help, so I’ll check it out

Thanks for the help either way! :rofl: :rofl: