Any competitive individuals who wanna race me?

Watched some anime, but felt like doing some more yoji so I did the next 100. Makes 200 for the day and I’ll call it there.

To wrap things up I did a 20 question quiz combining the decks (for a total of 2434 items) and got a 90% on it or a 18/20. One of them I’m pretty sad I missed because I knew the kanji and just blanked, but ah well. Didn’t miss an item I studied so I guess that alone is something to be happy about.

Thank you, I am in the server now. That’s a quiz bot, I see, couldn’t imagine at all how a quiz bot would look like. No idea how to use it to be honest.

And now something completely different:

I always wanted to ask people who are a bit excessive in learning Kanji about their opinion on the following (because I want to become excessive about it as well :smile:) but don’t really know how to fit this topic in organically into the forum so I just add it here because I think it is somehow connected to extreme conditions of memorizing Kanji. What do you thing about this?

If you haven’t heard about the theory here is an explanation. I started to think about methods to improve my ability for learning Kanji about half a year ago because I want to pass the Kanken 1 at some point which would be impossible without some brain hack just by writing again and again. In the end I don’t care if I pass or not, but it became a hobby to read about these things and test a bit crazy approaches on myself.

https://www.sheldrake.org/research/morphic-resonance

In order not too sound to mystical the whole thing comes down to trying to approve my perception, that learning something new is more about recalling than memorizing which goes against common believes. So the idea is to test conditions in which recalling works better. And this leads eventually to concepts of alpha state brainwaves which is described more in depth (but less scientific) in old Yoga theories and therefore in Buddhist meditation. Why I am bringing this up is, because it seems you don’t spend too much energy in memorizing and you might have perceptions about in which state of mind you recall Kanjis or words best. Eg following the logic of Yoga (this includes Buddhism and also the more western theory of alpha state) you would do better in recalling when you feel a bit drowsy rather than trying to focus hard and concentrate a lot.

Sorry for this long question, if you are not interested in it just ignore it :joy:

1 Like

Hmm, I’m not sure if it’s the same as what the paper is referring to, but I don’t really try to commit things to memory. Of the 450 I did in the base deck I’d say I tried to commit about 3 or 4 of them to memory.

My rule for recalling is basically the lowest effort path possible. So I look at a kanji, word, or reading, and then just am very aware of a) the first thing my mind notices and b) what it reminds me of. From there, I tie that piece of information to the others.

So in that sense, while I’m reviewing I’m never concentrating hard because I shouldn’t have to be. My gateway is the first thing I naturally notice, so if I focus too hard I might miss it I guess. I’m not necessarily drowsy, but im also never asking myself “what was this one”. I just look at it until I notice something, because when I notice the gateway I basically always remember the other piece of info I want (reading in this case)

2 Likes

Thank you, that’s very interesting. I got the impression that this is the case for me but others seem to actively try to “think” about the meaning, that would activate a very specific brain area (this can be measured). Reading a couple of books I think now that you are doing the right thing naturally while others might have to mediate before being able to listen to this, let’s call it intuition. The theory behind that paper would call it ‘tuning in to the morphic field of Kanji’, which I find a bit convincing especially after your answer.

Wait was this a legit thing though? I mean probably not but if it is I want to know

1 Like

含沙射影

6 Likes

Lol tf
I really didn’t think that was going to be a thing
Words are wack

4 Likes

Thank you for your invitation, that looks fun. Is my assumption correct that you don’t know the content of the quiz before you start doing it and learn the reading while playing it? Or is there a list of words you memorize before you start the quiz?

Yes, each deck has a set of words, sometimes 10000+, and then it feeds you random ones from the deck you chose

1 Like

Finished a bunch of things I was procrastinating on, as well as made a breakthrough in the main story line and moved the achievements up to 38%. Achievements are like that sometimes, you can go dozens of hours without much progress and get a bunch in a flurry.

For those who are finished with the game (Elden Ring for those not following the whole thread) and are interested, I made it inside Leyndell and progressed all the way to defeating Morgott.

2 Likes

In a similar(?) vein, I got back to my mommy ln book that Ive been procrastinating on and will probably go ahead and finish that before doing more yoji today!

1 Like

This is the information I was missing in my earlier question. Still a crazy amount of words to be memorizing the readings for so quickly, just ever so slightly less so given what you’ve said about your current kanji/vocab knowledge from reading.

The meanings of new words is what always gets me when I come across them in novels nowadays (that and character/place names. I swear I can never remember them as fast as the books expect me to). But even then context is usually enough that I manage well enough, and there’s always the good ol’ tried and true J>J dictionary for when I get lost.

Anyway, incredible speed you’re going at, enjoying watching this thread! Even if it’s now very different than how it started lol

I… what?..

2 Likes

Ooh nice. I was 200hrs in by the time I got there, but I’m the type to get everything everything before moving on. :joy:

Are you going over previous ones too, or only moving on and coming back later?

Ye I do previous ones too

1 Like

Looks like I have found someone else to join the race too. He has already gotten 5,500 points on the yoji 1k quiz though (1pt per correct answer), so hes been grinding for a bit. Makes it interesting tho!

3 Likes

But how far is he in Elden Ring.

I’m more the kind of player who ran through Caelid on Torrent for half of the first 5 hours.

Makes being sure you got everything a little tricky, but it satisfies my curiosity.

2 Likes

I didn’t read the paper that got linked, but interestingly enough…

Yeah, basically what I do unless I have a more detailed mnemonic idea. Though I usually try to learning readings and meanings at the same time, so I look for feelings that link the two up with what I see (unless I already know the kanji, in which case it’s more a matter of getting the reading to link up with the meaning). E.g. to learn the reading for 妨げ, I’ve… somehow managed to convince myself that the た is a wall that ‘gets in the way’ (there’s the meaning): さま is the bit where the wall’s being deployed (I imagine a flat rectangular block moving horizontally); たげ is the point it comes down into place and stands strong. (I still don’t know where this idea comes from. Might be the fact that the T sound requires air to be slightly more forcefully expelled than the rest.)

If I wanted to join in, how would I find the list of words? Does Kotoba have a study mode and a quiz mode? And I take it the focus is just remembering readings, yes?

2 Likes

Somehow I knew nobody would read it… But what do you think about morphic fields?

The yoji list is here

and the base list is here.

But I didnt use those lists and just did the quiz normally though the bot to practice. Theres no study mode, just normal mode. But there is conquest mode which takes you through every word in the deck.

2 Likes

Ah, that sounds helpful. Thanks!

So it is just the Kanken 1 quiz, or are there two separate quizzes (one for words, one for yojijukugo)?

I think I’ll join you just for the heck of it, but I’m not sure whether I’ll do everything. I’ll try though. Hahaha.

I did a quick search and came across some very vague explanations, so I’m not sure if I’m understanding the concept correctly. All I’d say is that I think it’s more likely that human beings in general tend to share patterns of thinking, and we also like to repeat past patterns. Just as an example, I’d say that Tangut characters and kanji have a very different ‘general feel’, and the way they’re organised is also very different. That’s probably what leads to reoccurring patterns.

As for this,

Honestly, I think that

1. If you’re ‘trying too hard’ and start panicking, yes, that can block recall, but I feel that’s more a matter of being too distracted
  2. We perform at our best when we’re ‘immersed’ in something. If you’re strongly aware of the fact that you’re focused, you’re doing it wrong, in a sense. It’s when you’re so focused that you forget about everything except the task that you go furthest.

That’s just my opinion though.

3 Likes