Any competitive individuals who wanna race me?

There are two. The final goal would be to complete a combined quiz (meaning it draws from both piles) and get a 100/100.

I would recommend starting with the base deck. There, you will not only get the meaning of kanji youll see coming up, but also some words that appear in the yoji as well.

2 Likes

I see. OK.

Can you add me to the server? My Discord: jonapedia#6111

1 Like

Today was the least productive day thus far. I only did the next 150 yojijukugo. The rest of my time went to other stuff like finishing my book, rocket league, and spending way too much chatting with people online and family lol. Can’t blame it all on laziness, though. I definitely felt a bit of a wall today doing the last 50.

Particularly, some things only following the nice expected reading in certain cases is starting to catch up to me:

羶 vs 檀

or worse, 蟾 譫 憺 膽 瞻

The first one is sen, the second one can be sen or tan, the next two are tan, and the last one is sen. Why? idk.

Then you have anything that uses 曷. stuff like 竭 is read as けつ and 遏 is あつ. And yet 渇 is slightly different and is かつ…??? き vs かい for stuff with 鬼 and stuff is also a bit annoying.

So its like usually when something betrays my expectation, its a hassle to go back and find the exception because I can’t search by radical or anything, and then come up with a way to remember their differences. Usually when I have them in front of me, its not bad. But its like, I’ve seen 600 new kanji in the past few weeks or so and gone through like 800 different words and yoji in the past few days so sometimes I can’t even remember where I saw it.

EDIT: To close out the night I did a 30 question yoji quiz for the first 350 and…got one wrong. 苛斂誅求. Posting here so I don’t forget it again.

2 Likes

I am not sure why readings like this happen, but a couple of Japanese blogs about the1級 recommend using this book to memorize On- yomis:
漢字音符辞典
It used to be sold out (until the new edition end of last year was published) and offered on mercuri for 40000 Yen second hand.

1 Like

Yeah, honestly being able to group them like that and then coming up with a way to remember their differences is best. Having them introduced one by one over time makes it a bit more annoying. Dont wanna buy a book tho, so i will just ganbare

2 Likes

Experimental strats to boost memory:

I have lowered the font size of the characters to where now the yojijukugos only take up like 2-3 inches on my screen. Now, its much easier to see the entire yojijukugo together on my screen as one clump rather than scanning across it. Why do this? I thought one thing that made words easier was just my ability to recognize their shape. Even for kanji, we kinda get a feel for a kanji’s “shape” so we can read it in small and broken down fonts. But if I have to scan across my screen to read a yoji I feel like i cant take in its shape. I cannot feel the yoji. I must feel the yoji.

I feel like I am slowly losing my sanity. I read some of my book earlier and came across 意識朦朧 which I thought was funny. Ah yeah, I forgot yoji of the day yesterday. I will make it 玉石混淆 for both having a nice meaning and being one that I already knew. At this point I will take all the freebies i can get. jonapedia also sent 依怙贔屓 in a dm, making this two days in a row I have seen a yoji that came up in my studies, although 意識朦朧 I already knew. Soon enough, perhaps I will see nothing but yoji. too early to tell, too late to back out.

4 Likes

font=7?

I love to be a spectator of and happy not to compete myself, this must be how Romans have felt when going to the amphitheatre. :grin:

Somehow I thought owning this book would radiate some magic to let me pass the 1kyuu without much suffering. Maybe I should put it under my pillow to increase the effect. No idea how to use it to be honest.

I came across an article explaining why Kanjis have different readings (On-) compared to Hanzis which seem to have only one. That’s because different words made of the same Kanjis where imported from China in different times (with changed readings) or from different dialects.

頑張って!

That just changes font type. I use size=40 now.

And yeah when I asked leebo about 怨 the other day he basically said the same thing about when it came over was what will affect it. Regardless, its stupid and they stop that.

yoji of the day has already been decided

睾睾広広

2 Likes

That’s easy to remember. Maybe not in font 7, I can’t read it…

1 Like

I sometimes change it for screenshots so other people can read it, but that font is what I’m playing my visual novel in

Ah, that’s a visual novel. Couldn’t imagine how it looks like.

I think you must be a masochist using that font.

Its not too bad once you get used to it. the natives I have asked said it was good handwriting actually, and i mean i think its made my a famous calligrapher. I wouldn’t go as far as to say that it looks nice personally, but its definitely something you get used to.

Also for the people who are following, I figured i’d make a video showing what doing the yoji looks like for anyone curious. will probably show me doing the next 50 or something (have done 150 so far today).

4 Likes

That’s interesting, but does “good” to these natives mean “pretty looking” or “easy to read”. My only interaction with handwritten Japanese is in parts of manga, and almost all of those are more legible than the font you’re using. (Probably not as pretty though haha.)

I specifically asked them if it was hard to read, so I’m assuming at least it wasn’t of any noticeable issue to them. Im assuming it also looks good because the person who made it is famous, tho.

3 Likes

Is it a free font?

sent it to you on discord. discourse doesnt allow ttf files.

1 Like

This is not in my Kanken Yojijukugo dictionary (if it is true that the reading is こうこうこうこう)

Sorry about some audio issues and the fact that the next 50 just happened to be really easy. This makes 200 for the day and I will prolly call it there and focus on reviewing and watching anime for the rest of today. Either way, for those interested, heres me doing 50 yoji. You can see what kinda mnemonics I make and how far onyomi knowledge will get you for these.

for anyone wondering about the one I got wrong that I said I would look up later, I mixed up 傅 and 搏.

Hmm yeah, who knows. If its not in the kanken dictionary it probably isn’t on kanken then (or it wasn’t but now it is?). Its on brett mayers site and also on a couple other sites like this

but not on any bigger dictionary sites, so who knows. Either way, still a chad yoji. 槁項黄馘 was a close second.

2 Likes