Anki Mode recommendations

Is there any evidence of there that typing actually helps retention? Or enough anecdotal evidence?

I ask as I am considering turning Anki Mode on for meanings. I want to keep it for readings as it let’s me get used to typing with a 9-key JP keyboard and not have to keep switching keyboard. But the main reason to turn it on is because I am getting the impression that typing does nothing more than an unnecessary amount of extra time.

1 Like

Try it and see how your retention is for a specific level. I spent quite a few levels in the 30’s refining my methods and they paid off later on.

2 Likes

I would say writing on paper helps retention and general exposition to kanji and vocab. Typing with an IME hasn’t helped me noticeably so far.

That’s worthwhile, though, I think. It might not help with retention, but it will definitely make you flick those characters faster :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

I’ve been using anki mode for months, maybe since level 40 or so, and it seems to work just as well for me. My accuracy is still about the same, and i’m not tempted to cheat, i always mark things wrong when i didn’t know them. And when i do get something wrong, i take some time to think about the item.

I think there are quite a few people who are either tempted to cheat, or lose focus and stop thinking about items when they don’t have to type, and just “click through” in Anki mode (which is a bad idea). For those, Anki mode may be bad. On the other hand, Anki has proven itself for thousands of people. Physical flashcards are also usually “Anki mode”.

Btw i’m not sure if there’s an Anki mode script. I’m using the Flaming Durtles Android app for Anki mode, actually in an Android emulator, so i can still use it on PC and type with a real keyboard.

3 Likes

The only time I’d even consider “cheating” is if I need this last Kanji to level up and I don’t want 3.5 days to go by pointlessly. But even then my cheating is not free. I take the item and drill it so I make sure I know it in far less time than the 3 days I would have wasted otherwise. I might also consider it for radicals when I actually have no trouble with the related Kanji, because “narwhal” can piss off.

I’m not a speed-obsessed fiend, but there is something extremely jarring about having to wait 3 days for one item.

3 Likes

Yes, there are a few cases where “cheating” is appropriate i think, like thinking of a similar meaning that’s not in the synonyms (recently i thought “a certainty” instead of “inevitability” which was the synonym WK wanted, perfectly fine in my eyes), or when you can’t remember the reading for the kanji which is only used in Gifu prefecture (岐 in 岐阜県), but you always recognize the full word. Sometimes it doesn’t make that much sense to look at isolated kanji outside of words. Sooner or later i’ll burn everything anyways, and then i’ll put things i encounter that i forgot into Anki (already started on that, with my “WK Burned but cold” deck :D).

3 Likes

I was with you until you stared using vulgar language (“Anki”) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

Don’t know if you’d consider it, but Kitsun is awesome, highly customizable, and is affordable (including a reasonable lifetime option).

1 Like

Haha, well, Anki works well enough for me. It’s also customizable you know, with addons.
I considered Kitsun, actually shortly used it, but i’m hesitant to add another closed off commercial platform which may go away or change at some point. But i’ve heard it’s good.

2 Likes

yeah, I get that. Not a fan of having my data locked up either. It’s why I asked the dev if the export feature was coming back. Turns out it was taken down because he wants to make it better and it’ll be available for personal decks.

Though I get it. You’re comfortable with Anki and it works for you :+1:.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.