Am I to old to get a job in Japan?

Hello,

I’m 33 years old. Is it too late to get a job in Japan ?

I’m currently looking at opportunities in Japan to get an idea of the “japanese industrial market”. My goal would be in 2 or 3 years to go work in Japan (or at least try). But from what I can see, to get a job, you already have to have a working visa. Which you can only get by getting a job contract. Or by getting a holiday working visa, if you’re under 30 years old. Which I’m not.

Am I misunderstanding something? Or do I have to face the truth and give up this project?

1 Like

Short answer, no. You are not to old to get a job in Japan.

Long answer, yes it might not be easy. But at 33 you are crazy to call yourself too old for anything. You might need to get creative and be willing to look into unexpected job fields. If you want to make it happen you’re going to have to make it happen. Japan is not going to make it easy for you, but that does not equal impossible.

4 Likes

Oh, determination is not something I’m lacking. It’s just that I have a family to care for, and I don’t want to waste energy if there’s no issue. But your answer is reassuring. Thank you!

1 Like

I think you do need to approach it somewhat realistically, in terms of searching for a scenario where it would benefit the company to take on the additional expense and beaurocratic red tape of hiring a foreigner versus a local.

Maybe it’s a company that does business both in your country and Japan, or maybe they need your specific, in-demand skillset, someone who speaks your language and Japanese, maybe it’s work locals don’t want to do, etc. They’re not going to hire you just to fulfill your dream of living in Japan.

For example, my father worked for a global auto manufacturing company in the U.S., and took a foreign service assignment to work in the UK for four years.

4 Likes

It’s great that you’re considering job opportunities in Japan! Age is not a barrier to finding work there, so at 33, you’re definitely not too old. While it’s true that some visas, like the working holiday visa, have age restrictions, there are other visa options available for those looking to work in Japan.
Don’t give up on your project! With the right approach and determination, you can make your dream of working in Japan a reality. Keep researching and exploring your options, and consider reaching out to recruitment agencies that specialize in placing foreign workers in Japan, like AC Jobs. They may be able to provide you with more information and guidance. Good luck!

2 Likes

Even though this thread is not really fresh, I’d like to post my own thoughts on the topic since it was just revived. Calling yourself “too old” to work in a different country at 33 is complete nonsense and that claim can’t be backed up by the fact that you can not get a holiday working visa. That is because if you are looking for employment in Japan as your main goal then that visa isn’t really for you in the first place. Of course, I may be mistaken, but the description of this program that can be found here emphasizes visitors being allowed to work “as an incidental activity of their holidays”. It appears to me that this program is made with university/college students in mind who are not already employed in their homeland and who are coming to Japan to spend their long break in the academic year. Someone who is looking for long-term work should search for an employer who can help them acquire a regular work visa instead.

3 Likes

While you are not wrong about the intended purpose of the working holiday visa, it is still a good way for people to first set their foot into japan and start looking for jobs with sponsored working visas. Thats because looking for a job and attending interviews is much easier if you are already here.

1 Like

Oh, I bet! But wouldn’t looking for a job and attending interviews also work with any short-term stay visa if the intention is to “upgrade” to a working visa after receiving an offer? The main point of the working holiday program is that it allows to actually work. Though I see that even in that case it can still be beneficial in terms of gaining work experience within Japan and the employers being more willing to employ a foreigner when less paperwork is required.