Already noticing improvement

While I’m not saying you should neglect Katakana or kana words in general, focusing on grammar and vocabulary is what I suggest.
So depending on how much time you can dedicate to your Japanese studies:

1. Kaniwani [Free] is what you should run in parallel with Wanikani to reinforce what you know.
  2. Bunpro [Paid] is a must. It reinforces vocabulary and teaches you grammar. It will become much easier to recognize words you listen/hear if you can take the grammatical syntax out of the equation… [An advice: use the WK key so that kanji you know are shown without furigana] [Also if you start the free month trial, try to do as much grammar as you can. Studying all N5 points in the first month is perfectly doable]
  3. Torii [Free] is my third suggestion. Since you mentioned kana only words, Torii has a kana only option. I personally hated that route because I would always get my 「-」 wrong… but it is a valid tool.
  4. Also at some point you will take recognizing single kanji for granted. But you’ll be frustrated you can’t recognize what word it is and what reading you should use for those kanji. The 10k option in Torii (or the [2/4/6/8/10]K in Anki will help you.
    Good luck with your Japanese studies!
1 Like