Aha Moments

I learned the limited [spoken] Japanese I know by immersion, simply by being here. I didn’t go to a language school or spend hours and hours in textbooks. I knew some Kanji, but not many, and not all of the readings. Years ago, I hit a wall and my learning stagnated. I had pretty much accepted that this was it. I knew my two biggest limitations were vocabulary and my reading ability but never made a conscious decision to actually study.

In November 2023, I decided to change that and bought a subscription to WaniKani. I am currently on Level 5 and, so far, have run into no Kanji I didn’t already know, or at least have not seen and had a general idea of what it meant. But I am learning some new readings of the Kanji and some new vocabulary from the Kanji combinations.

Examples:

• My wife often uses sousou when speaking. It was one one of those words that my brain just chose to ignore as probably unimportant. I recently learned 早々 in my vocabulary. She has used it two or three times since I learned it; now her sentences make much more sense to me. I knew 早い was hayai, but didn’t know it could be read sou or that doubling it up would mean quickly.

• There was a YouTube video on the TV the other day, but I wasn’t watching it. I had headphones on and couldn’t hear what they were saying, but I happened to glance up and the word 台風 popped up on the screen; I knew the discussion was something about a typhoon. Seconds later, there was a video of an actual typhoon. Prior to WaniKani, I would have looked at that read “nantoka kaze” or “nantoka fuu,” and wouldn’t have figured it out until I saw the video of the typhoon. Then I may or may not have guessed it.

• I knew the spoken words “tariru/tarinai” and “fusoku” but I had no idea they were all written with 足 (ashi). I had seen 不足 a couple of times and I remember thinking, “Not foot? What the heck does that mean?” Now when I see it, I automatically read it as “fusoku.”

I know, these are only very small things, and they may seem insignificant to some but, to me, it feels like the start of something good.

So now I am wondering, would any other beginners like to share any experiences where, thanks to WaniKani, you’ve had an “Aha!” moment?

16 Likes

Nice! Living in Japan and hearing Japanese all day you’ll probably have a lot of “aha” moments with kanji!
I don’t live in Japan and I think my biggest “aha” moment so far was (e)文字 :confetti_ball:

4 Likes

Good one. I actually left Japan after ten years and went back to the US in 2000. I stayed there for 22 years, returning to Japan only after my retirement in 2022. I remember when emoji became a thing in the US. First of all, most Americans I know pronounce it like イモジ so I thought it was a fusion of English “emotion” or “Emo” and Japanese 字 or 文字. It wasn’t until later that I found it was actually completely Japanese and was “絵文字” meaning picture letters.

3 Likes

For me some of the a-ha moments happened when I realized where some greetings come from, such as:
おはようございます => comes from the very polite form of 早い
こんにちは => 今日は (I think this spelling has been removed from WK due to confusion with きょうは)
こんばんは => 今晩は (same logic as the one before)
おめでとうございます => comes from the very polite form of 目出度い/めでたい

Also at first I had no idea that じゃ is basically では’s shortened form, e.g. じゃない/ではない。(maybe this is clear to most learners even at first glance, it took me quite some to time to connect the dots :sweat_smile: )

3 Likes

Well, I actually had such an Aha-moment on the tenth day after I started studying Japanese.

When I started, I knew nothing but こんにちは and ありがとう, so I think everything that I was able to do was a huge accomplishment for me. Well, when I was listening to a song, I suddenly heard (not in a row, just in the same song :wink:) the three words 入り口, 女の子 and 大人. When I realised that I was able to understand what these words mean, I was so happy and super motivated to study even more! (I think I did like 50 lessons that evening lmao)

2 Likes

It’s fun putting these pieces together, isn’t it? I thought for a long time that just being able to speak would be enough, but it isn’t. Learning the Kanji opens up a world of deeper understanding to the things you are saying.

1 Like

Wow. Starting right off with Kanji when you only know a couple of greetings must have been daunting. I came in with years worth of conversational Japanese and it’s scary. Good luck with your journey.

1 Like

Thanks :slight_smile: But I actually enjoy learning kanji, probably because I know that I am now finally learning something new in the language I’ve always wanted to learn :smiley:

2 Likes

Just adding a new one.

For years I have heard, gasoline-dai, denki-dai, nantoka-dai, and I knew it meant the cost or, in some cases, the money allotted to a particular expense. I am in level five right now and I learned the Kanji for daikin (代金) which is the cost or the payment for something. It uses 代, which is a substitute or replacement, and 金 which is money, so it means the money in exchange from some good or service. I was immediately struck with the revelation that the dai in denki-dai is from daikin.

Lightbulb

2 Likes