[Advanced] Author recommendations? Dark fiction focused on women's issues, a la Natsuo Kirino, Kanae Minato, etc

First off, this is my first post here, so I hope I do everything correctly and post in the appropriate place! I’ve been poking around all day on and off, and I think I’m good.

I took Japanese in college and kind of left off on it for awhile due to life getting me down, but now I’m picking it back up seriously again and got WaniKani to review and fill in some vocab/kanji gaps. I am a big-time reader and I love Japanese dark fiction/crime fiction/iyamisu novels. I can now read adult-oriented books in Japanese fairly well (with a dictionary for now, but hopefully soon I can retire it).

So far, my collection of Japanese-language books has mostly consisted of my favorite writers: Natsuo Kirino, Kanae Minato, Keigo Higashino, and one or two other random books I picked up. I like books with darker themes that focus on women - books like “Out” where women are fighting against their circumstances in life, or “少女” where two girls struggle with ideas of life and death. Books where women have to sum up a lot of courage to beat the odds.

I’m wondering now if there are other fans of this type of book who can recommend some new writers I can check out! There’s a Kinokuniya about 45 minutes from me, so I can go pick up books on the weekends - but I have a two-year-old so I need to go in with a list and do my shopping rather quickly!

Thanks!!

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.