About the voice actor and pitch

Would help me though, so please feel free to share :smile:.

1 Like

Here you go! The part starting at 6:36 is most likely what you’re looking for. It’s not as detailed as I recall, but the outline is there.

1 Like

Hello,

First ever post :slight_smile:

It’s interesting that the OP questioned the pitch accent of the male speaker. For me, his accent is good for learning and I can pick out where the pitch transition is happening quite easily.

On the other hand, the female voice actor seems to pronounce everything with a flat pitch, even when it disagrees with weblio. At least that’s how it sounds to my ear. Anyone else think that? Or maybe my ear just isn’t well tuned to her voice?

I live in Tokyo BTW so I do hear a lot of spoken Japanese (even if I can barely speak it myself).

Do you have examples? Can you show us one where you hear something different from what is considered the standard pitch accent?

Thanks for the super quick reply @Leebo. Here are a few examples:

生地
手首
早く
大気

These are words with high-low transition at the start which I find hard to hear in the audio.

However, I am now pretty sure it’s just my ear that’s not tuned to her voice. I listened to a few examples that should have flat pitch such as 生まれ. I can detect a bit of a difference from the words above (mainly that the final mora in 生まれ clearly stays at a high pitch).

I tried listening to 手首, and I don’t hear a flat pattern. I assume you know that “flat” in Japanese pitch accent isn’t monotone, it’s heiban, which would be low-high-high for 手首. It seems clear to me that the て in てくび has the accent and falls from there as opposed to the other way around.

Maybe I’ll listen to some more later, but I’m short on time at the moment.

I’m no expert when it comes to pitch accent, but I think the high-low pattern is distinguishable in the audio for words like 生地 and 手首.

What I do when I have trouble hearing it is apply the “uh-oh” and “uh-huh” line of thinking to words. When you say “uh-oh”, you begin on a high pitch and end low. And “uh-huh” is the opposite, where you begin on a low pitch and end high. If I imagine the “uh-oh” pattern when listening to those words, I’m able to distinguish that initial high pitch.

3 Likes

Tried listening to those four words and the pitch accent on the first mora is pretty clear for me. It takes time (and effort) until pitches start becoming clearer and clearer, and from my experience those high-low patterns are the most likely to be troublesome.

I’m also no expert, but I think that the exercise suggested by @SleepyOne is very helpful in “internalizing” the differences between rise and fall patterns. I used a lot (and sometimes still use), except that I prefer to use the same syllable (usually “tah”).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.