About percentage of JLPT Vocabulary covered by each Wanikani Level

I am using wkstats, which is a great tool, and helps me knowing how many and which JLPT Kanji I have covered so far. It also gives a table showing percentage of JLPT Kanji covered for each Wanikani level. On similar lines, I also want to know how much percentage of JLPT level vocabulary I have covered, but I couldn’t find any tool for that. I will be grateful if anyone could help me in this regard.

PS: I know there is no official JLPT vocab list, but still I think it would definitely not hurt to know about the progress in vocab too.

Since there is no official JLPT vocab list, I’m not sure how you think it would be possible to create a level comparision against Wanikani. :eyes:

Also, WKstats rely on the old kanji lists, since JLPT stopped releasing kanji lists since 2010. So, it’s not an exact tool for comparison either.

But, if you have learnt the kanji, vocab should follow. Unless you’re using a script to avoid doing vocab lessons.

But, generally speaking vocab on Wanikani serve a specific purpose: further drilling those kanji readings. For more common vocab you will need to use other sources than Wanikani. Or for kana only vocab for example.

So picking up some kind of immersion learning is the best way to get those vocab, imo. More fun also.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. What I understand is there are some unofficial JLPT Vocab lists too. For example, Jisho website categorizes the words with JLPT level, and I am also using a script here on WK which tells me which JLPT level it belongs to while doing lessons/reviews. So I was hoping for a level comparison based on such unofficial vocab list.

2 Likes

Wellll… it’s gonna be a small percentage, because WaniKani doesn’t focus on vocabulary, and certainly doesn’t cover any vocabulary that’s all in kana.

With the unofficial list. Naturally. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I second this, with one caveat: you’ll want a little bit of a foundation before you start immersing, or you’re probably gonna have a Bad Time™.

Just a few hundred to about 1000 of the most common words as vocab and some basic grammar will do just fine, from there on you can start immersing and picking up both grammar and vocab as you encounter it “in the wild”, so to speak - but that foundation makes it feel a lot less like an experiment on how much frustration you can subject yourself to.

Also, as mentioned, WK is honestly a pretty horrible vocab learning tool (when judged purely on how much practical use you get out of the vocab items - it works fine as a platform). Whatever useful vocab you glean from it is a bonus, but much of it isn’t going to be immediately useful to you, it’s by no means ordered by frequency or any other practically useful metric other than “it uses the kanji you’ve learned so far”, and it’s there mainly to reinforce the kanji, not provide you with useful words to know.

4 Likes

Oh, there is one? Didn’t know. :eyes: Then again, as we’ve both noted, WK isn’t really a tool for learning vocab, so I wonder how helpful an actual comparison would be? :thinking:

Here is a list of about 5k words taken from an N2 book back when they still released them. There are other levels, but each level just adds additional ones onto the previous while still carrying the lower level ones over as well. It may not be perfect, but it’s better than nothing.

https://www.jlptstudy.net/N2/?vocab-list

3 Likes

Thank you everyone for the comments and suggestions. Now I will rephrase my question. Basically I want to get a list of Vocab (JLPT level wise) which are not in Wanikani, so that I can start studying them on my own. Any idea how to get that?

Torii SRS has a “Wanikani mode” that excludes vocab taught on WK and is ordered by WK level for example.

2 Likes

Yup, same with Kitsun.

Thanks a lot. I tried it and it provides exactly what I was looking for.

If you don’t want to bind yourself to a certain software, I’d check the comparison in the spreadsheet in this thread: https://community.wanikani.com/t/jlpt-vocabulary-vs-wanikani/15693?source_topic_id=19759

2 Likes