Aaaaarrrrrggghhhh that review timer is murder

My problem is that I have a bunch of lessons that I reeeeally want to do, but I don’t have enough time to stop and do them. I mean they’re just sitting there… mocking me. But I know that if I try to start them when I don’t have the time to actually, you know, learn them, I’m not going to comprehend anything new. It’s beyond frustrating. I’m hungry for more, darn it, and I can’t get my fix.

1 Like

Use this time to start practicing hiragana and the readings for the kanji and vocab. The radicals are really easy and once you start getting tested on the kanji and vocab you’re going to see a massive shift in difficulty in memorising.

3 Likes

Meanwhile, been struggling to get caught up on reviews for the past month because I’m swamped with school lol.
27%20AM

5 Likes

Give it two days and you’ll see the magic (^o^)/

2 Likes

Or you can form the useful habit of lurking in the forums. That won’t be at all be a burden on your learning in the higher levels. I definitely don’t have any lessons and reviews waiting for me. None at all.

Real talk though, I used the time I had in the first 3 levels to find resources that might be helpful for my learning. Check out this topic The Ultimate Additional Japanese Resource List. That’ll keep you busy for a while until your reviews here ramp up.

3 Likes

Try to swim through your lessons with your [Long Arms Durtle], have faith :wink:

Enjoy it now while you can lol

3 Likes

I don’t know how I messed this up, since up until now my reviews had a similar number every day. Now it’s little to nothing for 2 days and 70 the next, repeat. :hushed: I guess that’ll change with the levels and some time in the future I’ll be hopelessly buried under kanji every single day. :relieved:

2 Likes

Oh god… Good luck with that xD

2 Likes

wani hates me
:sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:
this would be a great time to implement microtransactions

4 Likes

I mean you’re only level one. Don’t worry about it. The reviews/lesson will come. Then you’ll hate yourself because all of your life will revolve around Wanikani. Then you’ll love yourself because you put in the effort to finish something really hard.

On a side note, What sort of micro transactions we talking about here? Make everything you put in correct? Unlock all 60 levels? DLC levels? Come one give me details here!

4 Likes

i am talking (joking!) about waiting speed-up microtransactions, like you have in the Simpsons mobile game and many others, etc. joking! not serious!

anyway what is this durtle thing. dirty turtle?

1 Like

I KNOW RIGHT?

5 Likes

You can also take a look at https://bunpro.jp/ It’s similar to wanikani, but for grammar. I’m doing the free trial month right now, and it seems they go together really well.

1 Like

I have a life and death situation exam next year… :slight_smile:

Haha, I knew. I’m just messing around. Playing off of your joke.

Durtles are durtles. I’m pretty sure they’ve never been properly explained, but from what I’ve gathered, they’re created when a turtle (or rarely a human) is burned. So the people of Wanikani are always always creating them. Someone recently pointed out to me that it might be a combination of “dead” and “turtle,” hence durtle.

On the forums, they’re badges that you can earn for various things. For instance, I got my tsundere durtle by participating in the Say Something Tsundere Wanikani Wednesday thread. There are other ways to earn them as well. You might get gifted one eventually if you make the Wanikani team happy in some way.

2 Likes

Sometimes if I don’t have formal reviews, I will go to the dashboard and click the ‘See apprentice radicals left’ and ‘See the apprentice kanji left’ to show me what’s left to Guru. I’ll review them there, informally, and mouseover to confirm I got them correct. I do this especially when I’ve just unlocked a whole heap i.e. the start of a level.

Between the community here and the online resources available, you should be able to keep yourself busy learning if that’s what you’re aiming for.

As stated many times, things will pick up. I think my largest number of reviews was around 120 which was very painful, though there are many tales on this forum of numbers much, much higher. I’m afraid of them getting too high.

sound of mid-levelers crying in the distance

8 Likes

My advice is just do them. I used to go hard out on every lesson but now I just go through them as best I can. I would try to hit 95%+ on every review but now I’m fine if it’s 60 or 70. They’ll come around again and that repetition is what will ingrain them. The SRS system is what’s going to make you really learn them.

Jus let it do it’s thing.

2 Likes