A somewhat interesting detail I found about the kanji 体

So I was just going through some of the kanji on wanikani when I came across 体 and I immediately realized something. The meaning and reading mnemonic sentences had slightly been altered.
The original ones had been directed towards the leader being male while the newer ones have female pronouns being used.

Original:
Meaning -
The leader has a book all about the human body. Knowing about bodies is a privilege. One that only leaders get—it helps them control all their subjects, like you.

Imagine looking down at your body and thinking, huh, I wonder what all that junk is? Oh well, I’m sure the leader has it all figured out in that book of his.

Reading -
The leader’s body book also taught him about something very body specific: how to tie a tie (たい). You can’t have a tie on your body, no no. Those are for the leader and his smart body.

Picture the leader, reading a book, putting a tie on his body. Look around at you and your family and your neighbors. You don’t know what your body meat-bags do and you don’t know how to tie a tie. Womp womp.

Now all of them have female pronouns instead of male ones: WaniKani / Kanji / 体

I know this is completely useless information but it was just slightly funny and interesting when I realized this. What I find really cool though is that I somehow managed to remember the original mnemonic and immediately came to a realization when I saw this new one.

9 Likes

I was completely confused trying to parse your post! :slight_smile:

(きゅう) and (たい) are visually similar but very different characters. You’ve mixed them up in the original post.

9 Likes

Ah my bad, it was probably because I was studying at 4am. I meant the 体 kanji.

2 Likes

I also noticed this, and it warms my heart every time I see it. It seems the pronoun change happens every time the “leader” radical is used.