A Question Regarding the Mnemonic for 里心

In the lesson for ‘homesick’, the following context sentence is given:

この仔犬は里心がついて泣いているのもしれないけど、そんなのかまうもんか。
This puppy may be crying because he is homesick, but who cares?

When I typed 「こいぬ」into my IME (I’m using a Chromebook, if it matters), 仔犬 was the second result, behind what I expected the kanji to be, 子犬. So, is 仔 considered a reasonable substitute for 子? Does it have some sort of limit, like it can’t be used in 子供, or is limited to jukugo words, or something like that?
皆さんは、ありがとうございます!

It seems that 仔 is mainly used for animals

Also, it looks like other words like 仔牛、仔羊、子猫 can use this kanji too. It’s funny the word isn’t in wanikani though right? I don’t think it can be used for humans.

I think it’s funny how the child kanji with the person radical is the one that refers to animals :slight_smile:

That hadn’t even occurred to me lol.
Also this post card is a cute dramatic use of 仔供
https://momoudou.booth.pm/items/381840