A little celebratory post

Just yesterday I have finished my second light novel 秒速5センチメートル!
And it was only 1-2 months ago, that I finished my first ever light novel 君の名は.

I didn’t really know anything about them before starting and it was quite the experience.
The improvement in reading speed I saw from the start of 君の名は to the end was incredible. Experiencing the reading becoming more and more enjoyable was an amazing feeling.

One thing I did, was watch the 君の名は movie (in German) after finishing the book. Boi was that ever a rewarding feeling (aside from the movie already being a wonderful piece).

Although it was quite tough (especially at the beginning), I thoroughly enjoyed this reading-journey so far and I’m looking forward for more.

Next up I’ll read 天気の子 (yeah, I kinda bought all the 新海誠 books)

Hopefully I didn’t sound too boastful with this post. I just thought this progress was worth celebrating a bit, as it does make me feel quite a bit of pride.

Shoutouts to one of the book clubs on this forum that listed 君の名は.
Although I had heard of it before, I probably wouldn’t have gotten around to reading or watching it anytime soon.

And it should go without saying, that Wanikani made all this possible as well.

53 Likes

Congralutaions on such a milestone :cherry_blossom: and thank you for sharing, it’s very motivating! Have you watched the 秒速5センチメートル film? If yes, in your opinion, how does the book compare to it?

2 Likes

Thank you, happy to hear that you found it motivating.
I haven’t watched the 秒速5センチメートル movie yet.
I should do that soon!

I’d imagine it to be pretty identical to the book though.
If I understood correctly, the 君の名は and 秒速5センチメートル light novels were both written alongside the movie making by 新海誠 himself.
And the 君の名は movie was almost identical to the book.

Will have to watch it to know for sure though!

2 Likes

nope! Congratulations. I think more people should post things they are happy about. There is just so much negative crap going on…it’s honestly refreshing to hear someone openly take pleasure in the little things!!

6 Likes

I am glad you shared this accomplishment! Knowing that reading 君の名は really accelerated things for you is encouraging to read, I bought a copy a few years ago and am exited to get enough kanji acquisition that I can open it up myself. Thank you for sharing the good happy news!
~( ̄▽ ̄)~*

トマト

1 Like

Thanks to your recommendation I watched 秒速5センチメートル yesterday, it was great! I think I will order book now!

1 Like

Thank you for your lovely comment!
Honestly lately the Japanese hobby is one the few things that get me through the day, which is why I cherish it so much.

2 Likes

Happy to hear that! I hope you’ll enjoy it as well!

1 Like

Great to hear that, looking forward to watching the movie myself.
Enjoy the book!

congrats! I wish I had your will to read like this

even in my own native language I cant stand reading long text anymore.

I quit Dune (the only book I was interested in the last 10 years or so) after 300 pages and never touched it again and waited for the movie, let alone if it was in japanese :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks, yeah I developed quite a bit of a (positive?) stubborness.

Sad to hear that but reading isn’t for everyone, I guess.
Before embarking on the Japanese journey I would read novels in German and English quite regularly too, so I guess it was rather natural for me. Although I never considered myself to be a regular reader, I guess I somewhat am.

I wish you the best of luck though. Perhaps you can someday find the motivation to read as well. Otherwise, there should be plenty of other types of media available as well.

3 Likes

This is awesome! I picked up this book years ago way too early in my Japanese learning and quickly put it away. Seeing this post makes me think it’s time to give it another try. There’s another book called 5秒速センチメートル One More Side that retells the 3 stories from the other person’s point of view, in case you hadn’t heard of it.

1 Like

I’d definitely give it another try! Had I tried to read a light novel too early I probably would’ve given up as well. Even when I started it was quite the challenge (and it still is!).
It is very frustrating when you have to spend more time on jisho than actually reading the book. I found that the ratio does improve with time though, but it’s definitely easy to overlook the incremental improvements one makes.

Thank you, I have indeed come across One More Side while browsing Japanese Amazon.
Apparently there also is one for 君の名は called Another Side: Earthbound.
Will definitely check those out at some point.

That’s so amazing to hear!! :100: It is truly delightful to see other people enjoying this fantastic language! :innocent::pray:

Keep going and best of luck to you.

2 Likes

Thank you very much! Best of luck to you too!