A butterfly is not very good?

I love the example sentences when you are learning the vocab and how they are translated conversationally. But I do have question about this translation:

今月は、ちょうのちょう子があまりよくない。
My stomach hasn’t been feeling well this month.

Does this mean in a nervous/anxious way? Since it translates to something like “butterflies aren’t good.” Kind of like the expression “I have butterflies in my stomach.” Are tummy butterflies more of a negative feeling in Japan? Google hasn’t been much of help unfortunately. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

This ちょう is 腸, not 蝶

5 Likes

Ooooooh! Gotcha. Thank you! Not having kanji with furigana for the other words can make things a tad confusing. I very much appreciate your help! :blush:

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a common complaint, because sentences are difficult to parse like that. The other ちょう, in ちょう子, is 調子, which is also confusing when they do the split word thing. Especially since even though a level 3 users knows 子, it’s not clear what it means in that word to someone who is just starting.

3 Likes

Feels like they should have just left it at ちょうし instead of ちょう子, might be less confusing that way.

4 Likes

Or just solve the actual problem and write everything that takes kanji with kanji, but furigana on only not-yet-learned readings of kanji.

10 Likes

Oh yeah :thinking: why didn’t I think of it

1 Like

That would be the absolute best. The book I am using for grammar does that, it’s so choice :ok_hand:

1 Like

It really is confusing and it’s been a hot minute since I took Japanese at university and most of that was sped through unfortunately so it was a lot of memorization not actual learning. :expressionless:

We had several discussions about this before. The team seems to not want to use any furigana at all.

I’ve made a post about this months ago, in case you’re curious:

3 Likes

Which is bizarre since clearly using kana for kanji words (especially mixed like in the ちょう子 example) is worse.

3 Likes

Yuuuuuuuuuuuup. Any technical difficulties they’re not telling us maybe? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I mean, sure. In my opinion, the proper solution would be to include full kanji for everything and make the furigana dynamic based on what the user has actually learned (level / guru’d kanji for the user, not level of the sentence). Meaning the furigana usage would change as you level up, even for older sentences.

That is certainly much more work than static text. But I think it would be a significant enough improvement that it would likely be worth the time.

4 Likes

Yes, that’s what I agree with as well.

It would definitely. Not to mention that they’re spending time rewriting the example sentences right now. Doing it in hiragana must be a lot more of a mess for the team. The perfect way would suck time to the development team, but save time to the team writing the example sentences. I guess the later is what takes more in terms of time and resources… so yeah I don’t get it xD

They would go from barely anyone checking the example sentences to almost everyone giving them an actual read. It would also help making Wanikani even more unique to its users, which would be another big advantage against learning tools like RTK, etc.

1 Like

I wish they would do this. I stopped reading the example sentences altogether because they were confusing me more than anything.

2 Likes

The dev team would probably have to build the infrastructure for setting furigana in the sentences, but then the content team could do the rest. (That’s my assumption at least.)

Yep. I almost never read the sentences right now, but I’d definitely read them more if there was less barrier to entry. Right now I still don’t like them because they are weird, but at least the kanji isn’t an issue anymore.

2 Likes

The ironic part is that the example sentences get more useless as you go on leveling up :grimacing: Try looking at example sentences from 20, 30, 50 levels ago and you’ll see… xD

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.