9-nine-ゆきいろゆきはなゆきのあと 9️⃣ Week 3 (Visual Novel Book Club, offshoot)

This is being read as an offshoot continuing Episode 3. Episode 1 was originally read as part of the Visual Novel Book Club.

Home Thread Here!

9-nine-ゆきいろゆきはなゆきのあと

Current week start date: August 4, 2023
Previous Week (Week 2) :infinity: Next Week (Week 4)

Pace

We’re aiming to read approximately 25k characters per week! A suitable enough end point will be selected each week and posted within the thread.

This week's endpoint: 23.4k

Mid 4/21.

Scene transitions and character count (Steam version)
Location Character Count
Street (Beginning of 4/20) 7
School 1 298
Street 3 171
Station 3 581
Restaurant 4 824
Station 10 394
Kakeru’s home 10 719
Kakeru’s home (Beginning of 4/21) 15 831
School 16 009
Park 17 249
Station 22 051
Station (Endpoint) 23 431

Discussion Guidelines

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, do your best to provide context. Pasted text, screenshots, descriptions, etc. Unlike book clubs we can’t flip to relevant pages, so we may need a little help identifying exactly what is being discussed.
  • Feel totally at ease to ask questions or give your thoughts, any time! Clubs live and die by participation, and asking whatever question you have, no matter how silly it may seem, helps others who are reading it and even the answerer themselves.
  • Have fun, and do your best to interpret anything said with as much good faith as possible :slightly_smiling_face:

Participants

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m no longer reading
0 voters
4 Likes

This is another one of those weeks where the endpoint is not immediately obvious so keep an eye on the scene transition summary when you’re around 20k. The endpoint is right before the transition from the station to the shrine. That second location is not part of this week so if you see it that’s the endpoint. I’m just making it very clear just in case there’s another unfortunate variation between versions like that one time :smile: .

4 Likes
This week spoilers ™

Pretty fun week.

Mahou Shoujo Sora FTW

:joy:

Good to see that even though it’s クソ兄貴 alter-body this episode, Ghost Rena hasn’t lost her sharp teeth.

I am also having trouble thinking of an いいとこ for クソ兄貴…

Cats needed to save the world!

I thought it was refreshing to see that we have some new completely unforeseen developments like the user with the teleport artifact. Hopefully it won’t delve into just another random shounen-battle.

5 Likes
Spoilers

This was a pretty fun week. I had saved some screenshots of the Mahou Shoujo talk too, I loved that scene :smile:

The more Noa is starting to open up, the more I’m starting to like her. The chuuni show down at the restaurant over what to name their group was funny. Of course, all the cat talk and the Noa being able to fulfill her dream of holding the cats was adorable too.

It was nice to get some information on her background regarding her sister and why she froze up in the other branch when trying to end Iris.
I wasn’t even thinking about the other artifact users that Yoichi had killed in the other branch until they brought it up. When they mentioned someone was teleporting I was like oh yeah, guess Yoichi didn’t kill that guy this time. I’m guessing Iris will be involved with them in some way this time instead though.

Also love the difference in the way they talk about the cats. 猫ちゃん vs 猫様

5 Likes
Spoilers

Yeah I’m still feeling good about VN #4 too. It’s still 9-Nine- for sure, but it’s 9-Nine- at its best pretty consistently so far, playing to its strengths entirely. Maybe that’s only cause the fights aren’t happening yet, but even the fire one wasn’t so bad so I’m gonna hold onto some hope.

Love the return of the family restaurant. I honestly kinda like Yoichi now? The dynamic between him and Takamine makes them both better, I think, and contrasting how he acts around Kakeru with having someone do the same or worse back to him adds something there, too. I know his odd place in the story isn’t too developed yet, but I imagine we’ll get at least a little more of that? I’m just very pleasantly surprised I’ve swung all the way to specifically really liking the scenes with him and Takamine.

Of course, love the return of the cats. And Noa’s development is proceeding well, no complaints at all about her character. They even gave a little depth to her chuuni nonsense in a way that I think worked.

4 Likes