7 kinds of WaniKani users (to be continued)

Wow. That’s actually quite impressive
Manual start date coming soon

10 Likes

5 I guess ??? I post on the forums sometimes though. I’m also not the fastest but I’m still making progress ! I think there’s more types of users than you described haha

What is this map? Some kind of heatmap? Can I have one too? xD

2 Likes

the Melon
Like Jesus, Buddha, Confucius, Elvis, and Cobain lives larger in death than in life. Generations of new users are warned: straighten up, or this could happen to you. Will return one day, as preordained on @Kumirei’s famous calendar.

13 Likes

7. The motivated beginner:
Admittedly we all have been here. They started learning Japanese just a month ago, are highly motivated, discovered WaniKani as well as Kaniwani, Anki and Duolingo. They use all of these services at the same time. There is a 100% chance these users will create a topic complaining about the slow speed of WaniKani at level 1 and having to wait for new reviews. They then evolve into one of the six kinds above.

This is . . . a somewhat accurate description of me. I’m not a complete beginner as far as grammar and vocabulary go, but my comprehension of most kanji is lacking (I struggled with it in college, too).

I’m certainly not going to complain about WaniKani being slow. I promise. I’m enjoying the pace of it, actually. I don’t want to rush through the kanji! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah! It’s the heatmap userscript! :partying_face:

5 Likes

And now I feel like someone has been watching me… is it the kanji beast or maybe hiragana monster or even the katakana killer!

But yes… this is where I feel I’m headed…

2 Likes

The Doesn’t-Know-What-She’s-Doing

Discovered scripts around level 30, got the reorder script, and started doing everything that was possible to do wrong wrong. Accumulates over 1000 vocab lessons and nearly 4000 reviews but puts off fixing it until … later.

18 Likes

Lol. I am the silent one

6 Likes

you missed the ghosts old timers

3 Likes

I’ve posted a couple times but I’m mostly a silent one. I shall, however, reveal my secrets. One hour Breath of the Wild music playlists while studying increase my powers by at least 40%. It’s the gods that keep me going though.

7 Likes

damn, called out

1 Like

You forgot the gremlins!

Essentially, gremlins are Japanese learners whose current learning resource is pretty much only WaniKani, resulting in people who probably know how to pronounce that sentence and who probably know what quite a few of the words mean by themselves, but what the sentence means as a whole… not so much.

I’m not sure I’m really a full-blown gremlin myself since I did get through from Genki 1 to part way through Genki 2. So, I know some grammar, it’s just that I’m not really building on it at the the moment, eheh, which I guess does make me one. (´‿`)ゞ There’s still a bunch of some basic things that I need to sit down and sort out. Like conditional sentences, transitive/intransitive/causative etc. verbs, comparative sentences… Will have to happen when I have more time though.

@Pep95 called dibs on being the first official one, though!

19 Likes

can you url please ?

I’m sorry but IS YOUR AVATAR THE RÜGENWALDER MÜHLE COMMERCIAL GUY I’m losing my mind :sob::joy:

6 Likes

Lol how on earth did you recognize that… But you are right :laughing:

Script abuser checking in. I don’t know how anyone can live without their kanji doing a little firework dance but I for sure don’t want to!

Edit, damn it, going a bit off topic here but it had to happen.

12 Likes

I’m the Silent One as this is my first post even though I’m almost done level six.

Though I do complain when I think a kanji’s definition list isn’t long enough.

6 Likes

bro you can just call the category “The Leebo” if you want, we’d all get it lmao

16 Likes

I am not there yet, but very close! :sweat_smile::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

6 Likes