3月のライオン (March Comes in Like a Lion) Book Club🦁🤓

Honestly, probably better not – I can find my way around a book but I’m by no means an expert. I generally don’t give advice unless I’m pretty sure I’m right, and getting pinged for help puts the pressure on.

I’ll enable notifications for the threads though, so I can stay on top of stuff.

5 Likes

It’s time to start! I’m new to running a book club, so advice is welcome. In the meantime, I’ll do my best to copy @Radish8 's excellent management strategies.

I’d love to know where you are with this book!

• I’m reading along!
  • I will catch up later
  • I’ve read this chapter already, but I’m here for conversation.
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

Here’s the beginning of a vocabulary spreadsheet

2 Likes

I like what other clubs do which is a thread every week. Keeps things nice and clean and people can then go at their own pace.

1 Like

I’m happy to do that, but… how do I start a new thread, again?

Go to the Reading category and hit New Topic. I guess they’re called topics here not threads.

I waaant to try reading along, but I’m using September to finish up some manga volumes I’m reading. So at best I might try the free preview of chapter 1 to see how it goes for me in October.

As for new threads, one of the earliest (and longest) book club reads, the Aria manga series, retained a new thread each week throughout all 70 chapters. The first thread had 149 comments, and the last thread had 25 comments.

Another early book club, the Yotsuba&! manga series, went with one thread per volume. The first thread thus garnered 936 comments, with the most recent thread reaching 130 comments after the volume was finished. (Note that both clubs’ first threads have also had comments from readers starting the series much later.)

My Sailormoon book club does one thread per story arc (about three volumes length), but that only has a few readers, and minimal conversation.

Is there a schedule somewhere that I’m missing? Are we reading a chapter a week, or?

2 Likes

Thanks @Wildjinjer for creating the vocab sheet, it makes my reading so much easier :slight_smile:

If I have questions (on ch1 or others), should I post them on this thread or will this be divided to thread per chapter in the future?

1 Like

There is now!
I put the schedule, with links to the first thread for chapter discussion on the first post of this thread.

Thee were other requests for sub-threads, so I’ve created that!
Since this is a fairly small book club, I decided to divide the discussion threads into three chapter chunks. If discussion gets lengthy, I can always change it to smaller chunks later.

3 Likes

I’m a bit behind on other clubs, so I will catch up in a week or two or three or four

6 Likes

Week 2 is upon us!
Discussion will continue to be in the same place.

I’ve already added some vocabulary for chapter 2. Anyone who wants to add page numbers is a kind and generous soul.

5 Likes

It’s week three!

I started a vocabulary list for chapter 3. Please add to it!

Discussions will continue to be in the same place.

5 Likes

It’s week four!

The vocabulary list is blank this week (sorry! I didn’t pre-read it!), so please help me fill it in.

I started a new thread for any discussion of chapters 4-6.

5 Likes

Welcome to Week 5!
We will continue the discussion in the same place. See you there.

1 Like

Welcome to Week 6!

The discussion for this chapter will continue in the same place.

We only have 4 weeks left, so it’s time to think about whether we want to continue this book club past the first volume. Since there always seems to be people in the “I’ve already read this part” category, there an option to increase the pace.

• I want to keep reading this series at the same pace (one chapter per week).
  • I want to keep reading this series, but at a faster pace.
  • One volume is enough for me.

0 voters

One more option…
  • I want to keep reading this series, and I don’t care about the pace.

0 voters

1 Like

Welcome to week 7!
Here’s a link to the discussion thread for the last 4 chapters.

If at least 5 people besides me want to keep bookclubbing this manga, I will maintain it, including the vocabulary sheet (which is mostly populated by yours truly), so, please let me know your intentions in the poll, above.

1 Like

I would like to keep reading this series (already bought Volumes 2 and 3 so I will read those at least), but I don’t care too much about the pace tbh, therefore I was not sure what to pick in the poll :roll_eyes:

So it looks like we’re already 5 persons including you, which is… a start? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Good point. I’ll add an option.
…I had to do it as a separate poll, but it’s right under the first poll.

Thanks! I do hope at least one more person wants to continue.

1 Like

I don’t care about the pace either, but I voted for same pace before I saw the extra option

2 Likes

I’m still trying to catch up (still at ch4). Voted for I don’t care about the pace/same pace because I figure I’ll take my time. Irl is a bit hectic :pray:

3 Likes