10 Minute Biographies Home Thread (Absolute Beginner Book Club) - Finished!

Wish I had read this sooner :sob:
It was my first time using Amazon JP though!

2 Likes

We have a two day break now for Christmas and we start again Dec 27th with chapter 4, and the life of Wilhelm Röntgen. Another chance for me to practice my German pronounciation while reading in katakana…

メリークリスマスみんなさん!:santa:t2::christmas_tree:

8 Likes

Chapter Four - Wilhelm Röntgen discussion thread is up. Remember, each chapter is essentially a completely separate story so this is a good place to jump in if you’ve not been reading along with the last chapter. Link to chapter 4.

3 Likes

Chapter Five: We move onto the story of Ernest Seton, one of the founding pioneers of the Boy Scouts of America. If you’ve not been reading along, or if you’ve fallen behind, this is a good place to jump back in. If you don’t have the book yet this is chapter 5 of 12, so there is still plenty of time to get the book and join in the later chapters. Links to getting hold of the book are in the opening post of this thread. Link to Chapter 5.

4 Likes

Chapter Six: Chapter 6 starts tomorrow, join in to learn more about the life of Leonardo da Vinci. Link to Chapter 6

6 Likes

Chapter Seven: Tomorrow we start chapter 7 - the life of Christopher Columbus. I can never remember whether his name is spelt Columbus or Colombus - we’ll see if I’m any better in 2 weeks time!

3 Likes

He’s a man with many names: Colombo, Colón, Colomb, Kolumbus, Columbus, コロンブス, …

2 Likes

It’s a little known fact that he was also a TV detective. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

I’m looking forward to learning more about this specific aspect of his life :rofl:

Maybe I should re-watch my Columbo DVD collection on this occasion? :thinking:

4 Likes

I’m going to guess that is will be even more confusing, because katakana :rofl:

1 Like

Chapter 8 starts tomorrow. We are back in Germany for the story of the Brother Grimm: academics, philologists, cultural researchers, lexicographers, authors, and of course most famous for their collections of folk tales. Chapter 8 link.

6 Likes

Chapter 9 starts tomorrow. The last four chapters are all stories about East Asians. We start with Sesshū Tōyō, a Japanese master of ink and wash painting - 水墨 - who lived in the 1400s during the Muromachi period. Join us for Chapter 9.

6 Likes

The Absolute Beginners Book Club is voting for the next book. Click here to go the poll and cast your vote!

2 Likes

Chapter 10 starts tomorrow. Tomitaro Makino has been called “Father of Japanese Botany”. Read along to learn more about him in Chapter 10.

4 Likes

Chapter 11 starts tomorrow - the penultimate chapter. It’s a great time to jump back in and join the live discussion, but don’t forget if you are reading the earlier chapters feel free to continue asking questions.

Chapter 11 tells the story of Momofuku Ando, credited as the inventor of instant noodles. I’m not sure what we are in for but I’m hoping I might get to practice the super rare katakana that I can never remember - ヌ!

Chapter 11 link.

7 Likes

Final chapter soon! Wish I’d been here from the beginning, but I’m excited to read about Tezuka :smiley:

3 Likes

Chapter 12 - the final chapter!! This is the one I’ve been looking forward to all the way through!

He is the godfather of manga! It’s the manga artist, Osamu Tezuka. And surely, this chapter is going to inspire an Astro Boy offshoot book club…

If you’ve fallen behind earlier in the book, this is a great time to jump in and join the live discussion of the last chapter.

Chapter 12 link.

8 Likes

The Absolute Beginners Book Club is now voting for which book to read next. Click here to go to the poll.

3 Likes

It’s voting time again for the next book - click here to get involved!

2 Likes

The ABBC is voting for its next book. There are some lower grade readers among the nominations.

2 Likes