10分で読める物語 二年生 Stories 4 (お月よ) & 5 (パンのかけらと小さなあくま)

Page 57

おわびの しるしに、 きこりの ために はたらいて こい。

As a token of your apology, go and work hard for the woodcutter.

Grammar

こい
I’m taking this to be the imperative of 来る.

何か やくに立つ ことを、 やって こい。 それまでは 帰って くるな!」

Go and do something helpful. Until then, don’t come back!”

Grammar

くるな
Dictionary form + な means a negative imperative, so “don’t do X!”

小さな あくまは しょんぼりと、 また きこりの ところへ 行きました。

Dejectedly the little devil went to the lumberjack’s location again.

「きこりさん。 ごめんなさい。 ぼくは、 あなたの だいじな パンを ぬすみました。

Mr Lumberjack, I’m sorry. I stole your valuable bread.

ほんとに ごめんなさい。 おわびに、 何か させて ください。」

Truly, I’m sorry. Please allow me to do something as an apology please.

きこりは、 わらって 言いました。

The lumberjack smiled and said:

1 Like

Page 57 was easier than the other ones, I almost understood everything (after reading the page at least twice!). Thanks for translating each page every day!

1 Like

Heh, I don’t always know what I’m doing! Hopefully a more advanced Japanese student will swing by at some point and help us out with the weird things :grin:

Page 58

This was definitely harder. There’s some bits I’m not sure of in the ‘Grammar’ foldouts.

「パンを かえして くれれば、 それで けっこう 早く お帰り。」

If you do me a favour by returning the bread to me, then that’s sufficient [早くお帰り – return quickly]”.

Grammar

くれれば
:white_check_mark: Solved – Provisional of くれる, to do someone a favour, I think…?

早くお帰り
This seems to mean ‘return quickly’, but I don’t think お帰り is a verb (like an imperative). I do think the lumberjack is telling the little devil to run along now.

「それでは こまるんです。

”Well then, I am embarassed!

どんな ことでも やりますから、 何か 言いつけて ください。」

Since I will do anything whatsoever, please order me to do something.”

小さな あくまは、 なきだしました。

The little devil burst into tears.

そして、 言いました。

And then he [the lumberjack, I presume] said:

「それじゃ、 ちょっと いっしょに 来て くれ。」

Well then, do me a favour and come with me for a little bit.

Grammar

くれ
Imperative of くれる. I imagine it’s the lumberjack talking to the devil.

きこりは、 小さな あくまを、 森の おくの ぬまに つれて いきました。

The lumberjack took the small devil with him to a bog in the middle of the forest.

1 Like

I agree with you. て くれる is for doing a favor, in the -ば form to express the conditional.

1 Like

Haha, I got very excited when I saw in your links that it’s N4 grammar! I might be dawdling with regards to Genki 2, but at least I’m still getting somewhere :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Page 59

Kind of confused here. 地主 means landowner, だんな means ‘master’, so 地主のだんな seems a bit over the top. Isn’t it more or less saying the same twice? And what on earth is 土地なんだが? And who is speaking to whom?

「ごらん、 この ぬまは どろどろで、 何の やくにも 立たない。

”Look, as this bog is mushy, you can’t do anything useful.

Grammar

DBJP: “a particle (apparently derived from the te-form of desu) that indicates a weak causal relationship”

地主の だんなの 土地なんだが、 もし だんなの ゆるしが 出たら、 おまえ、 この ぬまを 麦ばたけに かえる ことが できるかい?」

But this is the master’s land [???], if we receive the master’s permission, you will we be able to turn this bog into a wheat field, right?”

Grammar

土地なんだが
:white_check_mark: Solved – Is this だ (to be) and が (but), or だが (still, however)? And what is なん doing here?

出たら
Conditional ending in -たら.

「できます、 できます。」 小さな あくまは、 元気いっぱい さけびました。

”We could, we could,” the little devil excitedly exclaimed.

「ほんとかい? それでは、 地主の だんなに おねがいして くるよ。」

”Really? In that case we’ll go and ask the landowner!”

きこりは、 さっそく 地主の やしきに 行きました。

The lumberjack immediately went to the residence of the landowner.

1 Like

「なん」is like the 「のです」that you had encountered earlier. It sort of adds a point of emphasis and it is used for explanation. In this case it is indeed だ+が, so it goes like だんなの土地なんだ が (it is the master’s land but, were the master to permit it, would you be able to… etc).
Nouns and な adjectives take なん or なの before だ or です while い adjectives and verbs use just ん or の.

On a side note, since I’m not completely familiar with the context, だんな can also mean husband, so if the 地主 is actually a female, it would be “It’s the landlord’s husband’s land but…” etc

Hopefully my explanation kind of makes sense!

1 Like

It makes complete sense, thanks a lot! Good to have the mystery solved :grin:
If it’s not too much effort, there are some more questions in the ‘Grammar’ foldouts in my earlier posts. I’d love it if you could have a look.

No worries at all! Are there some specific ones or would it be better to go through them all?

Forgive me for the format! I’m not too good at quoting and all that!

Question: does anybody know precisely how こと works in the last line? I know it means “thing”, but it seems to function like a particle or something…?

ある日のこと is kind of just a set phrase, it doesn’t really mean anything, but it sort of implies ‘one day’ a set of events happened.

そこへ
What is へ doing here? へ would indicate movement, whereas I would’ve expected で for a position.

Normally you’d be right, but へ implies ‘movement’ and in this situation 顔を出した means something like “dropped by”. So it would be similar to if it said そこへ行った.

ないかと
Is this ない (plain negative of ある) plus か plus と? I have not idea how to translate this.

This one’s a little harder to explain, but it’s essentially “(The little devil), wondering if there was anything interesting, was wondering aimlessly around the forest”. An easier way to think about it would be 何か おもしろい ことは ないか と あくまは思っていて、森のあちこちを うるついていたのです。The あくまはおもっていて part is implied. A more literal translation would be “Is there anything interesting?” (thought the little devil as he) wandered around the forest.

As for your actual question about ないかと it is indeed ない+か+と. the と is a quotation marker, so it’s a little separate. It’s like と思う and と言う. ないか is negative form of ある plus か, which is essentially a rhetorical question marker. Another example would be いい人いないか? Are there no good people? (Nuance is: Are there any good people?? Doesn’t seem like it!)

Hopefully that makes sense! If any part of it is still confusing just let me know!

This page was a bit easier. Lots of repeat vocab, no serious grammar. I have only one question:
もんです (second sentence) – Can’t tell if it’s も + んです (emphatic sentence ending) or もん + です.

It is indeed もん+です and what it means here is もの so “どんなものです”

こい
I’m taking this to be the imperative of 来る.

That’s exactly right!

早くお帰り
This seems to mean ‘return quickly’, but I don’t think お帰り is a verb (like an imperative). I do think the lumberjack is telling the little devil to run along now.

That’s exactly right. お帰り is just another form of the verb 帰る and it can be used as an imperative. You can use it for other verbs too, usually in the sense of お食べください、お飲みください etc

If you do me a favour by returning the bread to me

While this would be a literal translation for くれる, I think it’s easier to think about it as “If you return the bread to me” or in the case of a verb like 行ってくれたら translating it as “If you go for me”.

くれ
Imperative of くれる. I imagine it’s the lumberjack talking to the devil.

Another easier way to think of くれ is just as an informal, more masculine way of saying ください. So it wouldn’t be “do me a favour and come with me” it would just be more plainly “come with me”.

Kind of confused here. 地主 means landowner, だんな means ‘master’, so 地主のだんな seems a bit over the top.

As I had said a bit before, I assume that the 地主 is a female and that だんな here is being used to refer to her husband. That’s a common way of using だんな.

Hopefully this helps!!!

2 Likes

Thanks so much! This has all been extremely helpful! It seems my biggest problem at the moment is not understanding set phrases and nuances. That’ll come with time I think. I can’t believe how much can come implied in a single . I’ll be on the lookout for that from now on :smile:

1 Like

Page 60

「地主さま、 おねがいです。 森の おくの ぬまを ほして、 麦ばたけに しても よろしいですかね?」

”Mrs. Landowner, I have a request. May I drain the bog in the depths of the forest and turn it into a wheat field?”

「なに、 あの ぬまを 麦ばたけに?」

”What, that bog into a wheat field?”

地主は、 あきれて わらいだしました。

The landowner was amazed and burst into laughter.

「おまえ 気でも くるったのか? まあ、 よい。 すきなように やって みろ、 あっはっは。」

”Have you lost your mind? Well, fine. As you wish, have a try, haha.”

Notes

気でも
I’m guessing this is 気 で も, rather than 気 でも. The で might indicate location and the も might be used for emphasis.

地主は、 おなかを ゆすって 言いました。

The landowner said, her belly shaking (with laughter).

ゆるしを もらって、 きこりが 帰って くると、 小さな あくまは、 さっそく しごとに とりかかりました。

When the lumberjack went back, having received permission, the little devil immediately started the work.

I added the link to the homethread. I accidently broke some informatikn in the thread. Have to fix this later on pc

1 Like

Page 61

Again, not too difficult. I have just one question, about いられなく なって in the penultimate sentence.

ぬまに 生えて いる 大きな 木を、 かたっぱしから 引っこぬきました。

He extracted a big tree that was growing in the bog.

あっというまに、 ぬまの 水を のみほしました。

In the blink of an eye he drained the bog.

地面を たいらに たがやしました。

He tilled the soil until it was smooth (lit. ‘to flatness’).

はたけに 麦を まきました。

He sowed wheat in the field.

ただ ただ おどろいて いた きこりも、 じっと して いられなく なって、 いっしょに 麦を まきました。

The lumberjack was absolutely surprised, and he was no longer standing still, (but) he sowed barley together (with the devil).

Notes

いられなく なって
いる + られる + なくなる. The なくなる is used to indicate it’s no longer the case. The られる is passive-ish… Not sure how that works here.

麦は ぐんぐん のびて、 みごとな ほを つけました。

The barley grew rapidly and produced splendid ears.

2 Likes

Page 62

I had some difficulties with this page. I don’t know how the two parts of the first sentence fit together, because I am not sure exactly what’s going on with 見わたすかぎり. I also have no idea what to make of かり入れだ in the fourth sentence. I think the lumberjack wants to start harvesting, but how does the grammar work….?

見わたすかぎり、 金色に かがやく 麦ばたけが 広がりました。

He looked out as far as possible // the wheat field that sparkled due to the golden colour stretched out,

小さな あくまは、 とびはねて よろこびました。

The little devil jumped up and down and was delighted.

きこりは、 なみだを ながして よろこびました。

The lumberjack shed a tear and was delighted.

「さあ、 今度は かり入れだ!」

“Come one, this time [let’s harvest?]!”

きこりと 小さな あくまは、 はりきって しごとに とりかかろうと しました。

The lumberjack and the little devil were in high spirits and tried to start the work.

Grammar

とりかかろうとしました
Volitional + とする -> make an attempt

ところが その とき、 地主が 作男たちを 引きつれて、 馬車で のりつけました。

However, at that moment the landowner, accompanied by farm workers, drove up in a carriage.

2 Likes

見わたすかぎり seems to mean “as far as he can see”.
So the whole sentence would be: "As far as he can see, the golden wheat field stretched out. "

I made some reverse engineering in Google Translate to find out! I looked at the possible translations for harvest and found this:
かり入れ = 刈り入れ = harvest
So you were right!

I found this page and the following pages (as I tried to finish the story without looking at a dictionary, without success) more difficult. Thanks for posting everyday and keeping me motivated!

1 Like

Thanks for helping me out there, it feels really good to understand a page 100% :sunglasses:

Page 64

Seemingly an easy page, I hope I got the plot right.

ぬまが みごとな 麦ばたけに なったと いう うわさを 聞いて、 大いそぎで かけつけて きたのです。

She had heard a rumour that the bog had become a splendid wheat field, (so) she came running in a great rush.

うわさどおりの 麦ばたけを 見ると、 地主は 言いました。

When she saw the wheat field of the rumour that appears to be quite true, the landowner said:

「きこり、 ぬまを 麦ばたけにして よいと 言ったが、 おまえに やるとは 言わなかったぞ。

“Lumberjack, I said that it was fine to turn the bog into a wheat field, but I didn’t say for you to do it.

これは、 みな わしの ものだ。」

All of this here belongs to me”.

そして、 「さあ、 ぐずぐずするな。

And then (she said): “Come now, don’t grumble.

しごとに かかれ。」

Start the work.”

2 Likes

Whoops, DIYing got me a bit behind schedule!

Page 65

と、 作男たちを せきたて、 麦を 一本 のこらず かりとらせると、 馬車に つみあげ、 いきようようと 引きあげて いきました。

She urged on the farm hands to harvest the wheat entirely and after they piled it up in the cart, she went and left triumphantly.

Notes

I believe the first is a way to end the preceding direct speech. The second is to denote 麦を 一本 のこらず かりとらせる as indirect speech introduced by せきたて.

I suspect 一本 denotes a single-minded focus (in a way I don’t quite know how to translate).

I am not sure why かりとらせる is a causative, when surely かりとる would’ve done…?

小さな あくまと きこりは、 おいおい なきました。

The little devil and the lumberjack howled ‘whoa!’.

けれども、 小さな あくまは、 すぐに 元気を とりもどしました。

However, the little devil immediately regained his spirits.

「きこりさん、 このまま こうさんして なるものか。

“Mr. Lumberjack, surely we don’t surrender like this!

ぜったいに とりもどして くるよ。」

We are coming to get it back!”

小さな あくまは、 地主の やしきに 出かけて いきました。

The little devil left and went to the residence of the landowner.

1 Like

Hi!

My translation is a bit different, I took the second meaning of おいおい :
The little devil and the lumberjack cried (their hearts out).

1 Like

That does make more sense with the next sentence being about ‘regaining’ their spirit :grin: