魔女の宅急便・Kiki's Delivery Service 🧧 Repeat Club

Hey, if anyone wants to transcribe the whole first volume, I’ll run the numbers on vocabulary and kanji =D

1 Like

This is a lovely idea. I would love to join but I’m not sure I’m ready for it yet or if I’ll have the time to read (considering I want to read other books as well). But it’s still a few weeks until end of June, so plently of time to decide.

3 Likes

Neither am I :sweat_smile:

Just btw, @ChristopherFritz, would you mind collapsing the lists in this post down behind details tags?

You’ll be fine! You have a lot more reading experience than I did when I first read it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you :blush:

手に入れたぜ!

It came in a full week earlier than expected, but it was a welcome surprise :grin: no damage at all, and really not even any wear other than the cover having some rings on it, but those are only visible under light from certain angles.

Can’t wait for June!

20 Likes

omg it’s beautiful

5 Likes

May I just watch the movie, instead?

For real, just yesterday I down loaded the vocab list from the last time that you read the book. Looked the list over. Printed out a few chapters. Then started the movie.

And realized that the movie and book are very far apart. :thinking:

But I can understand lots of the movie without subtitles. :slight_smile:

I think that I may order up a book and join in for the read!

4 Likes

I actually haven’t watched the movie :eyes:

3 Likes

I’m in! I didn’t manage to snag a copy last time I was in Japan, but I’ll put it on order!

3 Likes

The movie is worth watching, if for no other reason than Jiji, the cat.

He is exactly my Nite-nite cat. In the movie, when Kiki rolls over, the blankets reveal Jiji. Jiji then scoots back under the covers against Kiki’s back. This is an exact Nite-nite move.

Also, there is a whole segment when Jiji must pretend to be a stuffed-animal cat that is just hilarious.

4 Likes

That’s in the book too!

5 Likes

ugggggh, it’s so nice :pensive:

Could you quickly confirm for me whether it has (a) furigana, (b) illustrations?

3 Likes

There’s an illustration of Kiki in the very front, and a little Jiji at the end of each chapter at the bottom of the page, but nothing like scenes or anything.

No furigana at all as far as I can tell, but I just flipped through so it’s possible I could’ve missed some if there’s any on a few particularly difficult kanji.

5 Likes

It’s already here :hearts: the illustrations are beautiful, and I suspect the furigana will be really helpful in the beginning, I’m so excited right now!

10 Likes

I’ve got an ebook version which I haven’t read yet so I love to try this as well. :blush:

3 Likes

Look! A new version coming out! (In English)
Last time I could only find ridiculously expensive copies in English!
I’m grabbing this one! Comes out shortly after we start =)

Oh and I checked, I have all 6 in Japanese! <3 (red, furigana version)

7 Likes

Hopefully this new English release means they’ll translate the whole series. This release is a whole new translation with all new artwork (compared with the prior English release, which I assume took from the original Japanese release).

1 Like

I sure hope so too!! =D

Kinda hoping that touting it as “for fans of the film” isn’t going to disappoint said fans who read it and discover it’s not quite the same.

2 Likes