Week 4

Start Date: Jul 01
Previous Part: Week 2-3
Next Part: Week 5

Reading:

Week Volume Start Date End Phrase End Page Page Count
Week 4 2 Jul 01 ……:interrobang: おまえ… 49 41

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current section(s) and any content in future sections.
  • When asking for help, please mention the volume and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book
0 voters
8 Likes
Thoughts about this week

I liked how Nausicaa and Asbel end up with the Dorok for a while. It was a good way to get to know a new faction in the story. It feels as if alliances are already starting to shift.

That got me wondering: was there any reason given for the war in the story up to this point? I don’t remember any, but maybe I missed it.

The storytelling is really getting on a roll, so it’s hard to stop reading at this point (or any other point soon, it looks like). At any given point there are enough unresolved subplots going on that I want to keep reading :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Kurotowa mentions slaves in his introductory scene, though whether that’s the reason or just a side benefit, I’m not entirely sure.

5 Likes

Yes, and otherwise it’s probably just the usual expansionist empire thing. :wink:

2 Likes

Is it just me or is there a noticeable quality increase on the printing itself? Or maybe just that they used a darker brown?

2 Likes

Week 5! Longest reading for this volume, but it felt like the best place to split it.

4 Likes

I’m not sure. Maybe I’m seeing a little difference, but not that clear. It could also be printing differences. Or it might be that the art is a bit darker in this volume?

Talking about printing differences, I was looking up some things in my translated copy which uses much more contrasty black instead of brown and I do think the brown is nicer for the art even if it makes some things harder to make out. The black is a bit too harsh for me. My English edition also uses a pretty large font which is much easier to read but also messes up the balance between art and text a little bit in my opinion.

I guess my ideal edition would be a really big version with brown ink, maybe a little bit darker than what we have now :smile:

2 Likes

That’s a good point about printing differences. I think the set I have was printed in 2020? I can double check tonight though.

I think printing in different colors can be a lot of fun, but that they should be high enough contrast from the paper. Like brown and navy are fine. Tan/cafe is just a bit too light though.

2 Likes