霧のむこうのふしぎな町 | Week 5 Discussion 🌬 🏘

We’re reading to the end of chapter 2 - are the chapter endings not obvious?

「おやすみ、リナ」
といった。

1 Like

Yes they are but I didn’t read anywhere that we were going to finish the chapter. My fault it seems? I don’t have the pages in the posted questions as a reference and I’m around 50% of the book at the moment so it’s difficult to remember where the story is at this point even if I’d need to check some sentence with you all. Thanks for your help :ok_hand:

It’s no problem, I just wanted to check whether I should always include the last sentence regardless :slightly_smiling_face: every week the OP has the information about where to stop under the cover image / home thread link; either the last sentence or the section break.

1 Like

Thanks! It’s really a hassle keeping track of all in the kindle even if it’s easier for the reading part itself. Pages and % keep changing also. I maybe getting the real book alongside the kindle one in the future :cold_sweat:

2 Likes

instead… use the info from the original post and drop in some of your own bookmarks/notes whatever … then you know when to stop…

of course you can also buy the paperback as well… :wink:

2 Likes

Hi Nicole, here are the links to scripts that I’ve mentioned today/yesterday during reading session, just in case.

Sell Study and Additional filters

[Userscript] Self-Study Quiz

To enhance it further, you can install seanblue’s
[Userscript] WaniKani Open Framework Additional Filters (Recent Lessons, Leech Training, Related Items, and more)
so that you can target leaches etc. Of course, as shuly said, this is an extra load. I use it occasionally, and I think I will make it a must for my burns in the future.

1 Like

Ah I keep forgetting about reading group!!

2 Likes

I got to page 50… nearly there… :cold_sweat: after I spent about five minutes going “Three days? Three days?! Holy time skip, batman!” on page 49.

2 Likes

I’m looking forward this read-along each week, even though reading aloud on my level is super uncomfortable. The group is small, extra polite and supportive, and one can ask questions during that time as well. For example, today we discussed (among other serious things) word ストーブ which is “stove”/“heater”, supplementing it with nice pictures on discord :slight_smile: Also parsed and translated on the fly one long sentence (for my benefit). Since I’m self-learner without any partners/teachers, I find it very nice addition to routine. (also time slot is very convenient for myself).

7 Likes

if you keep forgetting…you’ll make everyone in the reading group feel unloved :wink:

1 Like

not a question but found this interesting… Page 42

リナは、その深い沼のような目にすいこまれるような気がした。

I read this as:

As for Rina, she felt like she would be absorbed (swallowed up) by those deep/intense marshy/pond like eyes.

The English version may have taken some more liberty but seemed to be nicer so thought it might be worth sharing:

Rina felt as if she were falling into his eyes, which were so unfathomably deep that they reminded her of a mountain lake.

…so then…I guess in Japan mountain lake = marsh or pond :laughing:

8 Likes

Looking up 深い沼 on Google Images, many look a lot like a small lake I saw up in the mountains last year. (Checking my camera, I didn’t take any photos of it…)

Many other images show would definitely fit the marsh/bog translation, though.

2 Likes

My dictionary app “japanese” says “ 沼 marsh, lake, bog, swamp, pond”. I envisioned it as a pond with deep and dark waters :eyes:

2 Likes

Caught up! :tada:

9 Likes

c84bfa4929
:joy:

4 Likes

And now I’m caught up too!
Now I just have to finish the chapter before the 25th :sweat_smile:

By the way the vocab sheet and the questions/explanations have been extremely useful (as always) so thanks to everyone that contributed!

6 Likes

p47 – ひととおり家の中を見せてくれたあと、ジョンとおしゃべりでもしようと、台所へはいった。

I understand everything except the bold part.

Edit: p49 – でてくることはでてきますよ。

Turning up will turn up??

1 Like

I’m not certain about the でも, but I suspect here it means “or something” (#4). The しようと is the volitional of する (+と). I might translate the last part generally as “thinking to have a chat with John or something, we entered the kitchen”.

I stand ready to be corrected :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Trying to sneak in a few lines before having to run to the vet for the vicious attack beasts annual check up… was just looking at this line … でも has so many meanings…

“but; however; though; nevertheless; still; yet; even so; also; as well”

if you read でも as “also” or “as well” works out perfectly… thanks @Radish8

Icchan, after showing (Rina) the inside of the house, more or less, entered the kitchen to also chat with John

Icchan, after showing (Rina) the inside of the house, more or less, entered the kitchen to chat with John as well

2 Likes

As far as I understand, the こと converts the verb into a noun. So I translated the でてくること as

“It appears (that)”

and treated the でてきますよ normally, so translated it to

“she comes up/she appears”

I don’t know if that’s completely right tho!

1 Like