霧のむこうのふしぎな町 | Week 12 Discussion 🌬 🏘

どったり means heavily, especially about something falling down.

6 Likes

I found this while searching for an answer:
http://maggiesensei.com/2017/06/26/verb-→noun-〜はしない-〜もしない-〜やしない-wa-shinai-mo-shinai-y/

When you scroll down a bit, you’ll find that the きゃしない is a casual contraction form of きやしない .
It’s being used when you’re looking down on someone/expressing anger/…

Also “いくら…でも” means “no matter how” according to Bunpro (いくら〜でも (JLPT N3) | Bunpro – Japanese Grammar Explained), but I don’t know it it’s that fitting here, so I went with the translation in the vocab sheet.

So I translated the sentence to something like:

Even if this is Shikka’s shop, I thought I couldn’t let you continue (breaking stuff).

2 Likes

Oh you star, thank you!

Do we reckon the あと is “after” in the sense of “after seeing that if I left it to you all the tea implements would end up broken”?

Maybe it can be kneaded into “no matter that it’s Shika’s ceramic shop”? Those kinds of translations are usually a bit loose depending on your sentence.

2 Likes

No problem!

Yep, that’s what makes the most sense I guess.

Something like that is probably the most accurate translation, I couldn’t really think of anything else that wouldn’t sound absolutely weird.

3 Likes

p137 (I checked what pages it is by looking at the vocab sheet) – これでもなかったら、この店にはないということですよ。
I think this sentence made me understand the ということ construction better. I think it literally means “[If it’s not that,] then that means [he’s not in the store].”
Not a question or anything, just a cool thing.

2 Likes

p137 or 138 – ぎゅっとかたくにぎっていた
Is this かたい turned into an adverb or something?

Edit: p139 – リナも、こんな人はほうっておいて、食べ物をやりにタマをピコット屋敷につれていこうと思った。
?

Edit 2: p139 --「おい、王子さまがなにか食べたいっていってるんだぞ。」
This is the perfect tense, right? And not the continuous?

Edit 3: p140 – 花をがりっとひっかいた
??

Edit 4: その声におどろいて、イッちゃんや、せんたくものにアイロンをかけていたキヌさんが、台所へかけてきた。
wth is this sentence

p137 / p138: yes, it is.

p139: やる, meaning number 4. to give (esp. to someone of equal or lower status). It is often used when giving things (like food ;)) to animals and kids. ますstem+に, means sth like ‘in order to’.

p139 (2): Yeah, the ている form of 言う is generally perfect tense.

p140: Usually when I can’t parse something and it’s probably an onomatopoeia of some kind, it’s because the form in the dictionary is a different one. In this case it’s がりがり. When the sound effect has a っと at the end, you can often find it by doubling the part before that.

Which part is tripping you up?

sentence break down

その声におどろいて、イッちゃんや、(せんたくものにアイロンをかけていた)キヌさんが、台所へかけてきた。

The part I put in brackets modifies キヌさん, if that help.
その声におどろいて、(Surprised by that voice,)
イッちゃんやキヌさんが (Icchan and Kinu)
台所へかけてきた。(ran into the kitchen.)

I removed the comma after the や because it throws me off a bit there. I believe it’s there to make it easier to parse that the part after that is a modifier for キヌさん - if that modifier wasn’t there, that comma very likely wouldn’t be either.

And, well, at that moment when they were surprised - before they hurried into the kitchen - キヌさん was せんたくものにアイロンをかけていた (ironing the things he’d washed).

4 Likes

Wow, that’s a great rule of thumb!

How is 台所へかけてきた = Ran into the kitchen? I get the きた part, but what about the かけて part?

1 Like
3 Likes

Haha in case you‘d like a visual mnemonic, I just bumped into this sign:

かける

(sorry I‘m too stupid to rotate this image :sweat:)

4 Likes

p143 – じっさい、リナは、いまではみんなにたすけてもらいながらも、なんとかそうしている。
Everyone’s helping her, not the other way around, right?

1 Like

Yeah, リナ is the one being helped. (もらう)

3 Likes

p145 – いくらシッカがせともの屋でも、あとがつづきゃしないと思ったの。

つづきゃ = “must not continue”? Shouldn’t it be つづかなきゃ?
Also, I don’t really get this sentence. “Even if Shikka was(?) at the pottery shop, I thought I couldn’t let you continue (after that)”?

Edit: Am I getting right that she keeps telling him he’s gonna ruin the reputation of all princes worldwide? :joy:

3 Likes

I think you will find discussion about this sentence earlier in the thread. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

That was my take :grin: I think she’s essentially threatening that they’d have to rewrite all those stories, fairy tales etc. about princes being noble and chivalrous and all that that. Interesting blackmail tactic…!?!

4 Likes