起き られ させた sentences

I recently learnt the causative-receptive form: 私が ご飯を 食べ させ られた。

One of my first thoughts was if you could alternate the places of the last two helper verbs and get “receptive-causative”. This is the sentence I wrote to see if and how it worked:

私が 彼女に 起き られ させた

In that sentence, my literal translation would be “I girl–woken-up–got caused.”, or: “I caused the girl to get woken up” (Maybe because I told my friend to check if she was sleeping, and he woke her up). I’d be the subject of 「私が させた」 (“I caused”, as illustrated by bold lettering), and the girl would be the subject of 「彼女が(に) 起き られた。」

Would this be the correct meaning of the sentence? How common is its usage in Japanese as opposed to 「食べ させ られた」? I’d be grateful if you could provide further reading and examples!

PS: Oh, as an extra question, in Japanese, do periods go inside or outside quotes? What about commas, and question and admiration marks?

Does this answer your question? At the very least, I think it’s related.

verbs - Causative passive form vs. Passive causative form: Both are grammatically possible, but is there a citation to prefer one over the other? - Japanese Language Stack Exchange

The answers are from natives, who state that there is no られさせる construction.

8 Likes

The OP from your link seemed to hypothesize both constructions were semantically identical, I was saying they were semantically different. However, it answers my question: 「音楽が聞かれるようにした。」 would be the proper structure for what I was trying to accomplish (or, for my example: 「彼女が起きるようにした」). Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.