美少女戦士セーラームーン 第三期 デス・バスターズ編 👨‍🔬

Act.35 無限9—「無限迷宮」2

By now it’s easy to count the number of active readers on one hand, but I’m still keeping at it =D

Act Location

Release Vol. Act Page
Tankoubon 9 32 149
Shinsouban 7 35 207
Kanzenban 6 35 51

The tankoubon and shinsouban releases are down to their final chapter. They will continue in volumes 10 and 8, respectively.

Participation

• I’m reading along (ready for Act.35)
  • I’m taking my time (still on an earlier Act)
  • I’ve gone on ahead (Act.34 and beyond)
  • I’m no longer reading this series

0 voters

You can always change your answer later if you’d like.

Not to jinx it, but I’m with you! I am enjoying this manga at just this pace, and intend to keep doing so for the long haul. <3

1 Like

I am about halfway caught up!

3 Likes

I can’t even imagine how fast-paced everything must feel for you at the speed you’re working your way through the first couple of story arcs!

1 Like

I’ve been catching up for about two months, so I’m not going that fast

1 Like

Act.36 無限10—無限大―上空

We’re up to what was originally a very long chapter, spanning all of volume 10 until a side-story:

In the later releases, this chapter has been split into three parts.

Act Location

Release Vol. Act Page
Tankoubon 10 33 3
Shinsouban 8 36 5
Kanzenban 6 36 97

Participation

• I’m reading along (ready for Act.36)
  • I’ve gone on ahead (Act.35 and beyond)

0 voters

1 Like

Act.37 無限11—無限大—審判

Saturn sure gets a lot of covert art appearances for someone who has yet to “awaken”.

Act Location

Release Vol. Act Page
Tankoubon 10 33 50
Shinsouban 8 37 53
Kanzenban 6 37 143

Participation

• I’m reading along (ready for Act.37)
  • I’ve gone on ahead (Act.38 and beyond)

0 voters

1 Like

Act.38 無限12—無限大―旅立ち

I feel like it’s suddenly come out of nowhere, but this is the final act of the story arc! And to think, by this time next week, I’ll have read through in nine months the same amount of material that took native Japanese readers in the 90’s three years to read! Granted, they were limited to one act per month, rather than one act per week, so some people might suggest it’s not a fair comparison. Don’t listen to those people.

This act isn’t going out without a fight, though. Rather than the usual 40-something pages, this one’s 54 pages! I wonder if it’ll be like last week, with so many pages of little to no dialogue…

Act Location

Release Vol. Act Page
Tankoubon 10 33 98
Shinsouban 8 38 105
Kanzenban 6 38 195

This is the last main story act in tankoubon volume 10, which contains a side-story next. The main story continues in in volume 12. (Volume 11 is side-story.)

This is the second-to-last act in shinsouban volume 8. After next week’s act, it continues with volume 9.

And, this is the last main story act in the kanzenban volume 6, with two side stories following. The main storyline continues in volume 7.

Participation

• I’m reading along (ready for Act.38)
  • I’ve gone on ahead (Act.39 and beyond)

0 voters

Me, after about my 20th WK review of 「弓道」: “I’ve been reading manga in Japanese for about two years, and I still haven’t even once come across this word.”

Rei, Act 38...

…talking about planned high school clubs to join:

i_0240x

Well, guess I can’t say that anymore each time I get it wrong.

1 Like

S.27.12
Middle panel - はじまりなり. What does なり mean here? I get the basic idea of ruin + begin, but I can’t figure out the exact meaning.

p. 17
I asked my coworker what 先相返 meant, missing the り at the end there, only to have けんじパパexplain lower down on the page. Oy.

p.23
Oh look, there’s that はじまりなり again!

Anyway…that’s all for now

1 Like

I figured the り endings were something old-speak, but you’ve got me looking into it now.

This may be unrelated, but Wiktionary states that なり is a classical Japanese equivalent to である and だ. So perhaps はじまりなり is like はじまりだ?

I’m under the impression that 来たる is a bit archaic, which could support なり being an archaic counterpart to だ (maybe?)

He may not have many scenes, but sometimes he really makes them count =D

1 Like

S.27.30 - I tried to check the meaning of ふんで in Google (Sssh! I’ve only driven automatic!)…I don’t think that’s quite right! Jisho got it when I gave it ふむ, but I was amused.

32 - Bottom right - I imagined her saying this as though she had a cold. Yeah?

1 Like

I’ll go a step further: I’ve never driven before at all! I recognized 踏む from an iKnow.jp card:

I may not know what a clutch is (at least I knew enough to not think it was a crutch!), but I figured it was something one steps on similar to breaks and gas pedals.

Jisho does seem to do better with 踏んで than with ふんで. ichi.moe is fine with ふんで.

Naturally Sailormoon Crystal removed that line from her dialogue, so I can’t provide an audio clip.

I took the " on her letters to be a bit of an exasperated voice.

1 Like

S.30. 204

What is Matoko complaining about at the top of the page? Is she jealous that Mamo-chan is so popular?

1 Like

I immediately knew exactly which page and panel you were asking about! (I thought the same as you at first, before breaking it down.)

In this scene, Chibiusa enters the arcade asking, “Is Mamo-chan here?” leading to Makoto’s line:

「委員長のクセに『まもちゃん』『まもちゃん』ばっか言ってっとクラスの皆にバカにされっぞ、ちびうさ」

クセに essentially means “even though”, and is used to tease or criticize. For example, “Even though you’re an adult, all you do is sit around playing video games.”

Since Chibiusa has become the class president (委員長, mentioned earlier in the story), Makoto begins with “Even though you’re the class president”. Because what comes next is くせに, you know it’ll be a criticism. (Note: a noun has to have の before adding くせに.)

The criticism begins as:

「… 『まもちゃん』『まもちゃん』ばっか言ってっと …」

The word ばっか (casual for ばかり) has a meaning like the English “only” as in, “If ‘Mamo-chan, Mamo-chan’ is only thing you say …”

Although, I’d probably translate this part as, “If all you say is ‘Mamo-chan, Mamo-chan’ …”

「クラスの皆にバカにされっぞ、ちびうさ」

「バカにする」 as an expression has the meaning of “to make fun of”. Here, as させる, it’s in what I call the receptive form (as per Cure Dolly’s YouTube videos on it), but most grammar guides call it the passive form (although Japanese doesn’t have a passive form like English does).

「バカにすれる」 would thus be “receive being made fun of”, or as an English passive voice, “will be made fun of”.

In this receptive form, the subject is the one receiving an action (the subject being Class President Chibiusa). The one performing the action that is being received is marked by に, which is 「クラスの皆」 (everyone in class). So, Chibiusa will receive being made fun of by her whole class.

Put together, Mako-chan’s saying, “If you keep saying ‘Mamo-chan, Mamo-chan’ even though you’re class president, you’ll be made fun of by the whole class.”

That’s why in the next panel, Chibiusa has the side-comment handwritten in, 「まこちゃんのいじわるー」

1 Like