Hello and welcome to 糞尿譚！It was written by 火野葦平 in 1937, therefore it uses some unusual or outdated kanji and vocab, but the text as such is luckily already written in modern Japanese.
I chose to read it in the first place because it is an Akutagawa Prize winner, and a short one. So I picked it to represent the 1930’s in the The Akutagawa Prize Reading Challenge.
If you make it to the end of the book, you are entitled to tick it off in the Challenge! It won the prize in 1937年下, so that’s where you can find it.
A live action drama was produced in 1957. For details please see the book’s Wikipedia page.
We will start reading on June 3rd, 2022.
In this book club, everybody can freely determine their own reading schedule. If people happen to read along at the same time and pace, that adds to the fun! But if not, it’s fine as well.
Please use this thread to ask questions as well as comment on the contents, or just to check in with the others on a regular basis. Looking forward to your posts!
The book does not have chapters, but its paragraphs are very long, so I decided to number the paragraphs to help us refer to individual sections of the book. Here is an overview of them:
|Paragraph #||First word||Percent|
- Please use spoiler tags for important events as we will read the whole book in this one thread.
- When asking for help, please (roughly) mention the page number or percentage. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
- Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
- To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!
Are you planning to read 糞尿譚 with the book club?
- Not sure
If so, which version will you be reading?
- Other eBook
And what is your current reading status?
- I have not started reading yet (but will soon, promise!)
- I’m currently reading the book
- I have finished the book
- I am no longer reading the book
The information is spoilered according to in which paragraph it appears, so you know how much you can unfold.
|小森 彦太郎||こもり ひこたろう||P1: Our protagonist|
|卯平||うへい||P1: Friend of 彦太郎|
|総円||そうえん||P1: The regional mountain hermit-buddhist priest (?)|
|赤瀬||あかせ||P1: 卯平’s boss|
|沢田||さわだ||P1: 彦太郎’s employee (driver)|
|としの||P1: 彦太郎’s wife|
|徳次||P1: 彦太郎’s son, 12 years old|
|千代子||ちよこ||P1: 彦太郎’s daughter, 8 years old|
|天野 久太郎||あまの きゅうたろう||P1: 彦太郎’s acquaintance/friend? Stammers. P4: 彦太郎’s business rival.|
|李聖学||?||P3: Korean working for 彦太郎. P4: His Japanese name is 金本.|
|赤瀬 春吉||あかせ しゅんきち?||P4: 彦太郎’s 恩人 in regards to his business. The same 赤瀬 as above?|