空耳_soramimi_homophonic translation

Soramimi (空耳, “to thought to have heard something”, or “pretending to have not heard something”[1][2]) is a Japanese word that in the context of contemporary Japanese internet meme culture and its related slang is commonly used to refer to humorous homophonic reinterpretation, deliberately interpreting words as other similar-sounding words for comedy (similar to a mondegreen, but done deliberately). (Wikipedia “Soramimi”)

Homophonic translation renders a text in one language into a near-homophonic text in another language, usually with no attempt to preserve the original meaning of the text. (Wikipedia “Homophonic translation”)

I know some examples and it would be fun to learn more.

As a start, this is a very densely layered nikovideo. (Because of the interpretational matter it probably wouldn’t win a literature price, and if it is offensive I am going to delete it again):

My 先生 brought this up a few classes ago. She showed us this video. Ever since, I cannot hear the English words “no peace I found”, and only hear のりたま

2 Likes

How can “no peace I found” become “Noritama”?
But it works :joy:

1 Like

Not that it particularly makes a lot of sense, but it is an example of intentional 空耳:

Many Colors
SAWA

Image. Color. Kiss Me. Color 今から 君から
It’s true. Color. いつから
You Made. in a Love 夢なら

So Cold. Color. そこから
Me and. Turn Around 見えたら
Could More Mad Day. 雲まで

And You Fly.
Around the Sweets.
So Everyday.
Along Lovely Flow.
So Everyday.
Along Lovely Flow.
Around the Heart.

Close Your Eyes.
Around the Sheen.
So Everyday.
Keep on Lovin’ More…
Around the Love.

Sought Light. Color. 空から
Mather. Hold a Lie. またほら
Oh…Cheese Take You.落ちてく
It’s Row. It’s Row いろいろ
Uh…Sought Now Around…嘘なら

And You FLy.
Around the Sweets.
So Everyday.
Along Lovely Flow.
So Everyday.
Along Lovely Flow.
Around the Heart.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.