獣の奏者 chapter 3, part 1 discussion

I understood the he convinced kairu but I didn’t get why (what he said to him in detail). Which was the reason he gave?

1 Like

Oh indeed :joy_cat: :woman_facepalming:

I turned that around in my head but now it’s clear.

@valkow I thought that
イアル was left without anybody to provide income and thus the foster parents had no choice - so the plot in my head
still made sense :joy_cat: but yeah, it was different from the book‘s plot…

Thanks for both your help!

1 Like

After reading your original comment, you had me convinced. I also realized I hadn’t understood the horse carriage part well at all, so I went back and read the chapter again. I came away more sure about the mom situation, but I was picturing the horse carriage scene just, wow, completely wrong. Your comment guided me in the right direction there (for some reason I missed that there were two carriages involved, lol), so thank you! <3

1 Like

It also took me a while to get the horse carriage scene right in my head, so you’re not alone.

3 Likes

Wait I’m kinda confused, so…

Spoiler

Since the mom has a weak body the kid she gave birth to die one after another right? Then the one who dies in the accident was エアル’s father. So only エアル his sister and mother are left in his family.
I haven’t seen it above but does anyone knows what エアル said to カイル to convinced him not to act?

Never thought my comment could have solved so many misunderstandings ha ha.
Thanks for the help

1 Like

That’s how I understand it (now) as well.

So there’s only the mystery of イアル and カイル left now… I will go back and reread this section now as I did not get it either.

And yes, your comment triggered a nice sequence of explanations and clarifications, I liked that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So, okay…

The final bit

So カイル wants to help the boy who is being beaten up but イアル convinces him not to because he is a soldier and should keep out of trouble (my interpretation). At first カイル says they are off duty but イアル says that such a thing doesn’t exist, and especially the next day a group (whatever you call that in military speak - maybe a bataillon?) of the アルハン is due to come to the capital, and it seems he is afraid something might happen? Then there is mention of this オッサル who seems to have been assassinated after going wild, so I suspect イアル wants to keep カイル from sharing the same fate.

Now I’m curious to hear what the others made of this, as my understanding is still a bit shaky…

4 Likes

Thx for the help I couldn’t find what オッサレ was. I was sure it was an old way of saying you or them.

That what the bookclub is there for. It fun to notice how so many people had different understanding but was so sure about it that no one asked about it. I had that a problem for a while and still does. I see it one way until the book makes it impossible to understand it my way :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

My interpretation matches with yours a lot.

Summary

カイル wants to intervene, saying he’s off-duty, but イアル says that 1. they’re never off-duty (because they’re the royal bodyguards or whatever expected to die for the royal family as their shields at any time etc) and 2. it’s the day before the delegation from アルハン is coming, which means that anything could happen and they have to be extra alert. カイル says not to lump him in with someone like オッサル (presumably another of the royal guard), who died by the hand of an assassin who was masquerading as a rogue (ゴロツキに化けた刺客; I don’t really understand why masquerading as a rogue instead of something more humdrum would be a good hiding method but okay), from context probably in the same sort of situation as this, but カイル is still convinced not to poke his nose into it.

… I think.

ETA: thinking about why masquerading as a rogue would be useful, maybe it does actually make sense! The assassin masqueraded as a rogue in order to lure オッサル in, just like in the current situation it’s possible that イアル and/or カイル are being lured in by the beating up happening in the street. As guards their urge is to step in and help, and the previous assassin maybe used that by acting like a rogue and doing something bad so that オッサル would come try to stop them, and then killed オッサル. That would make sense (I think) with how the present situation is compared to the past situation (maybe).

5 Likes

Oh, I totally did not understand this part when I read it. Thanks or clearing that up!

2 Likes

Oh, so the assassin masqueraded as a rogue? I thought that オッサル had turned into a rogue and thus had to be stopped or something :slight_smile: Really need to pay more attention to which connects to what…
But yes, if the assassin masqueraded as a rogue, that makes perfect sense, like you said: he can make a racket in order to provoke the soldier to step in and this way he can get close to him and kill him.

Thanks, that was the last missing bit, I guess.

3 Likes

Oh! that is a sentence that I did you quite got the meaning and forgot about. I can now totally understand it thanks a lot.

1 Like

5 Likes

I’m a week behind, but catching up!

Thoughts on イアル and カイル’s conversation.

イアル’s reasoning to カイル made sense to me, but I think that’s because I looked ゴロツキ up in a J-J dictionary, which said it is a person without a fixed job or home who wanders around, picking on the weak and begging. That is exactly what was going on in the alley (some ruffians picking on someone weak), and イアル was suspicious that it could be an act, like what had happened to オッサル. It didn’t seem to me like カイル was completely convinced, but he was worried enough that it could be true and didn’t jump in. I think his choice was even further explained at the end of the chapter where he talks about how イアル is apparently an amazing assassin-detector and assassin-killer, a good reason for him to trust イアル’s instincts.

Maybe I have played too many video games, but a “rogue” to me implies someone more capable and dashing. Or a dishonest but charming guy from an old-timey movie. Maybe the traditional English meaning of rogue is closer to the Japanese word than what I’m thinking though.

I found this chapter interesting for the additional world-building, but I feel like イアル’s untrusting nature might hurt him somehow in the future. On to the next chapter…tomorrow!

4 Likes

This chapter was hard! It felt like starting a whole other book, only keeping the words that the author likes to use a lot (looking at you 漂う).

Although it is a bit disorienting and now I’m wondering how long it will be before we get back to エリン, I like that more characters and places are being introduced. Makes me wonder how big this all gets.

By the way, loved the thread’s conversations clarifying what had happened. It allowed me to confirm some things and clarify (a lot more) things I was shaky on. Although with all that I guess it’s supposed to be mysterious/confusing even for the native reader…

Hoping the next one is easier so I can catch up faster :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

It’s harder :wink: But chapter 3 part 3 is much easier, and I think it gets back to Erin starting in chapter 4 (so next week based on the schedule).

3 Likes

I should probably start reading chapter 3. I still haven’t touched the part about him making the 箪笥。

2 Likes