狐笛のかなた Chapter 3, Part 1 discussion

狐笛のかなた Home Thread

Chapter 3, Part 1: 野火と小夜、霊狐の女

Start Date: April 3rd
Previous Week: Chapter 2, Part 6 & Chapter 2, Part 7
Next Week: Chapter 3, Part 2

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number. If you are reading the ebook version mention the percentage.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Read Aloud

We will be reading on Sundays at 9:00AM Eastern U.S. time (reading the previous week’s content). Here is the time in your local time zone:

2021-04-11T13:00:00Z

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

If you’ve read ahead (or read the book before) but plan to participate, please vote for “I’m reading along”.

Things are happeningっっ…!Whats 玉緒 doing with all that 殺意!?

小夜 is super read to trust strangers - I thought so when she met 大郎 and 鈴, and now she just shares all this delicate Information with some other stranger she only knows through aforementioned first strangers she maybe spent a few weeks with. Maybe it’s because of her gift - and the absence of a bad impression means they’re trustworthy…?

2 Likes

I thought the same thing. You could say it’s because of her gift. You could also say it’s just bad writing.

In any case, it is nice that the plot is finally moving a bit. Hopefully the rest of the book moves at a faster pace.

3 Likes

This week had a sentence that sounded really strange to me (and others) in the read-aloud session:

「あちゃちゃ。なんてことを…。そんなことをしたんじゃ、せっかくの守護の術がだいなしだよ。まあ、わらべがやりそうなことだのに、守護の破れ目ができたことに気づかなかったなんて、大朗さんらしからぬ落ち度だねぇ」

Does anyone know why this is だのに and not なのに? It actually has a dictionary entry, saying:

前述の事柄を受けて、それと相反する内容を導く。なのに。それなのに。

So it does seem to be the same thing as なのに. I’ve just never seen it before.

2 Likes