滑りやすい - grammar question

So for the vocab item ‘to slide’ WaniKani / Vocabulary / 滑る

we get the context sentence
雪解けは始まったけど、まだ滑りやすい場所もあるから気をつけてね。

From what I understand, ‘滑り’ is the noun form of the verb 滑る, to slip–so ‘a slip’. So then we have a noun + adjective combination? Why wouldn’t it be 場所のやすい滑りもある。When do we use noun+adjective?
Have I analyzed this wrong?

[EDIT: Since I can’t include two solutions, here is @chrispthompson’s helpful response:

This grammar point shows up about 2/3 of the way through Genki II.
Edit - chapter 20, pg 193-194 :slight_smile:]

Verb stem + やすい means “Easy to do [verb]”

1 Like

This is just verb-stem + やすい meaning “easy to X”. So 滑りやすい means “easy to slip on”.

1 Like

Hmmmm…I’m more confused about the grammar. Googling “japanese verb stem plus adjective” doesn’t come up with anything.

Is this pattern–can I use it with any verb and adjective combination? Can I say “pleasant to hear” like 聞き楽しい?

I don’t know if it’s only these two, but masu-stem + やすい is usually learned as a single grammar point (with masu-stem + にくい having the opposite meaning). It’s a useful one so definitely something to try to remember.

2 Likes

This isn’t a universally applicable pattern. Certain verbs have these properties which can be done this way. Just to name a few:
verb stem + やすい = easy to
verb stem + にくい = difficult to
verb stem + づらい = hard to/ difficult to
verb stem + がたい = impossible to/ hard to

These are fixed patterns that convey these basic meanings, as you study more grammar you will learn more about how to form these.

EDIT: Ninja’d by Riccyjay, but hopefully this helps a bit.

2 Likes

Yes, appending an adjective to the 連用形 (continuative form/masu stem) is a general grammar rule. However, you can’t do it with just any old i-adjective. There is a small set of special adjectives that it works with and they are usually called something like “auxiliary adjectives” in dictionaries (not to be confused with auxiliary nouns like べき)

LucasDesu listed most of the common ones but forgot what I think is the most common one which is たい = want to do

1 Like

These are extremely useful, so I’m surprised you haven’t encountered them yet.

分かりやすい
しにくい
話しづらい
など

1 Like

I’m way late to the grammar party. :frowning:

Almost done with genki 1 though.

I didn’t realize たい was an adjective. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it in a context outside of verb + たい. Can it be used in ‘normal’ adjective contexts like 'たいもの’ “wanted thing”?

Something like
たいのは買いません。

This grammar point shows up about 2/3 of the way through Genki II.

Edit - chapter 20, pg 193-194 :slight_smile:

1 Like

As far as I know たい can’t be used on its own, it always comes attached to a verb. In the example you gave you would probably use something like 欲しい instead.

verb + たい is a regular i-adjective though, so you can use it to modify nouns like other i-adjectives and it conjugates like normal. So -たく, -たかった, etc.

日本へ行きたい人 = Person who wants to go to Japan.

In your example you could probably say something like 買いたいのは買いません
I’ll be honest, I have no idea how natural that sounds, but it should be grammatically correct.

.EDIT: I just realized that my phrasing of “verb + tai is a regular i-adjective” might be a little misleading. The verb part still acts like a verb and takes objects if it’s transitive, etc.

1 Like

To clarify a bit, a transitive verb in the たい form can take either を or が.

これを食べたい
これが食べたい

I hear both.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.