氏 spoken or not

When 氏 is used after a name, in writing, is it pronounced???

For example in:
やはり、アベ氏のはつげんはいつも全くブレませんね

Would you pronounce the 氏 after Abe

3 Likes

Yes, it’s pronounced. It’s pronounced し.

Just out of curiosity, what made you think it might not be?

7 Likes

Since it is usually in writing in newspapers and such, you might think that in conversation you might just say アベさん?

1 Like

Well, yeah, you (probably) wouldn’t refer to someone with 氏 in spoken language, but if you’re like… reading a newspaper article or textbook passage out loud, you would just read what is written.

My girlfriend says that maybe otaku would use it.

6 Likes

Sorry if this is a silly question, but is that otaku as in オタク or お宅?

Depending on the context that could be either, since オタク comes from お宅. However, most of the time when referring to a specific group of nerdy people you would use オタク and not write it using kanji.

1 Like

nerds

11 Likes

For awhile it was used as a joke/play on words on Twitter and Japanese social media by Japanese people to refer to Trump. They’d write トランプ氏ね to say Mr. Trump and add the suffix ね。Which looks perfectly fine but when read it sounds like 死ね as a command to go die.

27 Likes

Best thing I’ve read all day.

4 Likes

Oh how polite they are, the Japanese :smiley:

1 Like

This makes me think that, for a country that supposedly considers the number 4 to be unlucky because of し, they sure use that reading often.

2 Likes

死 氏 市 紙 私 誌 士 詩 史 使 試 姉…

I thought I’d go through what the ime gives me for し just for fun, but there’s no end :joy: I give up, no time for this.

2 Likes

Yeah the Kodansha Kanji Learner’s book I think has 57 kanji with a reading of シ out of the 2300 it teaches.

1 Like

ヲタク even, if you wanna get super nerdy

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.