本好きの下剋上: Week 1 discussion

I guess I’m biased by the 乙女ゲーム[…] series in which the main character hits her head very hard and then has a high fever for a few days leading to her remembering her past life. Since the situation looks similar at first sight, I assumed it was also the case. Plus, how could the “host” die? Does getting a new soul heal the body? Then why would she still be sick? Maybe it’s more the case of a coma which lead to a past personality to surface?

5 Likes

As others have said, I’m assuming that the original owner died from the fever, so in effect the body was free for 麗乃 to take over.

Wow, if done right that could be so interesting. And I’m not a huge fan of the isekai genre to begin with.

One thing I’m suspicious of is her friend Shuu. Something about how he was introduced makes me think he’ll also show up again in the new world.

The first two chapters were pretty easy. I have a few basic questions which I’ll post later, but nothing that majorly impeded my understanding of the story so far. Lots of good words to learn too. I’m still concerned by the pace based on how long it took me to read these 14 pages, but I’ll try my best to keep up.

8 Likes
Speculation based on another story (no spoiler)

In 「蜘蛛くもですか、なにか?」, there are attacks that target the soul directly, leaving the body intact even though the target is dead.
Perhaps something similar is happening here? In this case, there would not be any “healing the body” required and it would still explain why 麗乃 is affected: there still is a soul in the body, even though it is not the original one, so the “attack” continues.

2 Likes

Based on which story? :slight_smile: (So I don’t get spoiled if it’s something I’m planning to read. If your speculation is spoilery, at least, but hard to tell without opening it)

1 Like

蜘蛛くもですか、なにか?」
And the only “spoiler” is the existence of a class of attacks in the story (nothing about who use these attacks or on whom)

1 Like

So I started reading this book today and, as expected, it is no easy task for me. Grammar is pretty easy (too easy??) but even in the few pages of the prolog I had to look up waaaay too many words for my liking (round 20? 25?). Given the tight reading shedule this book will be a big challange for me after my 2 weeks of vacation are over.

Since I really liked the anime it gives me confidence that I don’t loose my motivation at least.
Given my knowledge with the anime it is particular interesting to read all your guesses and am really looking forward to see how much of it is covered in this first volume :smiley:

Prologue done. Let’s see if I have more to say after I’m finished with chapter one.

8 Likes

I am a huge fan of the anime and I wanted to read to book(or have the audiobook of it) so I’m happy that the book club started. I was waiting for the day that we start reading.

This week spoiler

The first word got me confused. Took me some time to understand it was her name. I was sad at the beginning it seems that truck-kun failed his job so he had to call 地震-kun to the rescue. It’s kind or ironic that she dies the way she wanted a few minutes after hearing it. She wished for it but it seem it was a misunderstanding. She wanted to be surrounded by book not squashed by them. Always watch out for what you wish.

I liked that she actually realized that natural green or blue hair is not a natural thing. A lot of protagonist normally don’t seem to realize it.

I love books but she has an obsession of them. It literally killed her. (pun intended)

Funny I was sure suu was a girl. because she called shuu-chan. I don’t think he/she will be seen again in the new world. I don’t know what you base on suspicions on but I would like to hear your theory.

3 Likes

That’s not a pun :sweat_smile: you are just stating a fact.

4 Likes
Response to icefang97

That’s why you need to be very precise when making a wish or there will be room for interpretation and you will regret it. Like in Children of the Lamp or in the live action of Aladdin by Disney.

I have read stories where the characters all have (explicitly) black hairs in the novel but colorful hairs in the manga so making the MC realize that there is a problem based on the hair could change the story quite a bit ^^ (but a lot of MC are just dense… :stuck_out_tongue: )

Yeah, I agree that she goes way too far x)
She even takes a job at the library just to sniff old books, what a creep! :stuck_out_tongue: (I know that it is not exactly what is written ^^)

That what I though as well at first but then 修 uses おれ and だろう. I guess 麗乃 uses ちゃん because they are childhood friends and neighbor so she been doing it since the beginning and never changed the way she addresses 修 :thinking:

6 Likes
Chipping in to the 修 discussion

I definitely also got boy impressions from the way he talked. Then I listened to the free 5 minutes of the audiobook on audible and she clearly read his parts as male. So it never even occured to me he could be female ^^

5 Likes
Ending the 修's discution

On bookwalker I was able to read the preview of the book and 修 is a boy. He is referred to as he. I looked back and found that 俺 you spoke of @koalou thx for the specification. Thx @downtimes also for the help. I must have been distracted cause I did not realize the speech pattern was a masculine one. When I believe something my brain just eliminate the information that could prove it wrong. Yeah… Well problem solved.

3 Likes

So now i’m done with this weeks reading. It got a little easier but I’m still not at a 40pages/week pace :confused:
My only 2 remarks are:
他国の本を読むためには辞書を片手に努力した。Speak about relatable ^^
本を読むことにできる限りの時間。。。 I’m having problems with this sentence. Can someone break down the ni dekiru kagiri for me?

5 Likes

What’s the rest of the sentence? (Sorry, my ebook version doesn’t let me jump around easily.) Because that’s what 読むことに connects to, not to できる. 「できる限りの時間」= “as much time as possible.”

The full sentence is pretty long

本を読むことにできる限りの時間を費やすことで、肌が青白くて薄気味悪いと言われようと、運動不足で不健康と言われようと、食事を忘れて叱られようと、多分、一生本を手放すことなどないと思う。

So given what you said does it modify 費やす? as adverb?
Would have probably had an easier time with the sentence as できる限りの時間を本を読むことに費やす … Japanese and their confusing flexible sentence structure …

Whoops, didn’t realize how long that one was. We only need up to 費やす.

Yep, that’s right.
本を読むことにできる限りの時間を費やす in English: devote as much time as possible to reading books

7 Likes
Chapter Impressions

Just finished reading. Gotta say, I like the premise so far. I’m also curious whether Shuu will make an appearance later. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him be transported into another character without us being aware for a while. (Probably a couple books deep in the series). Also, I’d just like to point out for future reference that Shuu is a boy’s name, so it’s probably best to assume that any character named Shuu is a boy.

The other thing this chapter has me thinking about is whether or not there will be books at all in this new world, and if so, how limited access will be to them. It’ll be interesting to see Urano’s reaction to that.

Overall, looking forward to the next part. ^.^

9 Likes

Finished up this section last night. As expected, pretty easy so far – don’t think I’ll have trouble fitting this into my normal reading regimen. The writing style is cute. Switching back to an ebook makes me realize just how much I prefer reading on paper though :sob: I can definitely emphasize with her, can’t imagine being sick in bed and not being able to wile away the time with a book.

10 Likes

I really enjoyed this first part a lot. Language very manageable and I was quite stoked how easily I got through it… until I realised we’ll go through a lot more pages from now on, so we’ll see how I keep up then :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

I have some questions.

Questions

幼い頃から大学卒業間際の今まで、そんな生活をしてきた麗乃を知る周囲の者達は、麗乃のことを本好きの変人と呼ぶ。生活に支障をきたすレベルの本好きだと言う。

けれど、麗乃は他人に何と言われようと気にしない。本があれば、それで幸せなのだ。

So starting with けれど it seems to say that she don’t care about what others say about her (is said about her). But something just seems missing between ようと and 気.

本を読むことにできる限りの時間を費やすことで、肌が青白くて薄気味悪いと言われようと、運動不足で不健康と言われようと、食事を忘れて叱られようと、多分、一生本を手放すことなどないと思う。

Same thing is happening here. There’s just something I’m not seeing about why these are all in volitional form. I’m used to seeing [よう]とする, [よう]と思う, but here it’s just [よう]と, which is why I’m wondering if something is implied.

…何でもいいから、早く本が読みたい。 あぁ、神様。哀れなわたしに本をください! ついでと言っては何ですが、本がたっぷり詰まった図書館も欲しいです。

I can’t figure out what ついでと言っては何ですが means. Not even a guess.

1 Like

I think this ようと is this grammar point, which means “even if ~” or “no matter what ~”. If you happen to have A Dictionary of Advanced Japanese Grammar, it has quite a few examples on pages 740-745.

From my quick search on the internet, it seems that this means “while you’re at it…” when asking someone to do something for you. See this HiNative post.

4 Likes