本好きの下剋上: Volume 4+ discussion thread

I have read this one and I may have slipped past it for some time since i am not really that much into anime at this point. Not much of a big fan at all and i think you can say that there is going to be a lot of work for it in the long run at this point. There is a way for us to work with that.

Which one? :sweat_smile: The fourth book? The series? I’m not sure I understand what you mean.

1 Like

I finished the epilogue for volume 11. I liked volume 10 a bit better, but it was still very good. Definitely going to go straight into volume 12.

Spoilers for volume 11

First of all, let me just say that seeing ジルヴェスター kneel to someone is super unnerving. This is the first time a character was introduced in this series where I was actually scared for the main characters. This section of the book also does a good job of establishing the larger political structure of the country. It shows that some of the 領地 are so much more powerful than other 領地 that the 領主 even within his own territory has to be subservient to the first wife of the 領主 from the more powerful territory (to say nothing of the 領主 themselves). The epilogue really shows how much some of the nobility are devoted to the sister and will try to overthrow ジルヴェスター if they can. And of course stupid ヴィルフリート gave the sister the opportunity to come back. I’m glad for once it wasn’t ローゼマイン that did the しでかす, but come on kid. 空気を読め! His screw up was so bad that I had to make a gif for the occasion!

Love Lab 本好き smack

4 Likes
Volume 11

Nice gif :joy: I also loved how the attempt on フェルディナンド just backfired.

I know, right! I also loved the fact that she is obviously scheming in plain sight (like when she goes to see her mother) but we have no idea of what she’s going to do (or even at what time scale).
Still, yes, the epilogue really builds up the tension. I really liked that it’s from the point of view of the mother of シキコザ. Despite being a rando being killed off quickly, his death matters somehow.

Pretty sure visiting the mother didn’t happen in volume 11… I didn’t read the rest of your post, but you sure you didn’t just write spoilers for volume 12?

1 Like

You made me doubt, so I just checked. It happens around the 88% mark.

Yes, I’m 100% sure about the rest as well.

Ah, so in the bonus chapters then? Okay, I’m just reading those now. Usually nothing important happens in those (aside from the ones in the final book of each arc), so I didn’t consider that. Thanks for clarifying!

1 Like
This time I have question. Vol. 6, ~45%

I don’t get this part with 父型 and 母型. The 鋳型(いがた) seems to be the thingie where you pour the metal into for it to be formed (into letters). So what are these other stuffs?

2 Likes
Volume 6

I don’t remember all the details at this point, but I’ll try my best to help. First you make the letters out of metal, which is the 父型. Then you press them into the soft 母型 metal to get an indented version (凹む) of the letters. Those go into the mold (鋳型), followed by pouring in the 合金, and once it’s cooled you have the same as the original letters from the 父型.

Basically: original → indent → mold → original.

3 Likes
Volume 6

ohhh, so it’s for making more letters. So many new words on a topic I know very little about. Had to stare at some photos of alloys and molds for a bit, but now I think it makes sense. Thanks for the explanation :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wait. Wait.
Volume 28 is coming out FRIDAY!
It’s way earlier than expected, but I’ll take it!
Edit: noooo I was just tricked by the website predicting the publication dates. Amazon shows that the publication date is December 10th as expected. Why would you do that to me.

… aaaand the cover is spoiling E in an absurdly obvious way. Why do you do this. I take back everything I said about the author/editor/whatever cleverly hiding it.
(I mean, it’s not like I am spoiled, but *grumpy mumbling*)

5 Likes

I finished volume 12. The main story and climax were great, but the chapters setting up the next arc weren’t that interesting, and unfortunately they were nearly half the book.

Random comments on volume 12

First, I find it funny how マイン could be considered so many different ages right now.
8: What people think her body is physically aged to (since she didn’t really age while healing)
9: Her actual physical age (since she repeated age 7)
10: How long people think she’s been alive for
11: How long she’s actually been alive for (since she repeated age 7)
20s: Her mental age (or whatever) since she lived her previous life

Also, I finally read the title of the next arc. It’s interesting that unlike the title of arcs 2 and 3, which became obvious after the climax of the preceding arc, this one is still kind of out of nowhere. Yes, it’s about the 貴族院 as expected, but it’s not what I guessed. 領主候補生 would have been simpler, but it could technically have a different end point than the title chosen. Guess I’ll find out sometime next year!

It took me about 14 months to read the 12 books (with breaks to read other stuff), but overall I’m happy with that pace. Now that I’ve finished the third arc, I’m taking a break from the series for at least a few months. I still want to pace myself so I don’t catch up to publication, so I have to be careful not to read too quickly. I plan to read the entire fourth arc next year for sure though. If the series finishes publication between December 2022 and June 2023 I think I should be fine!

4 Likes

Haha I remember screaming in my head at the time. Actually it’s not that they aren’t interesting or drama-filled or anything, it’s just that there’s something else (like, the main story) that I’d rather be reading about.

You think that’s bad? Just wait until arc 5. It’s a massive spoiler for a large number of volumes (not giving an exact number as that would be spoiler too, but still).

That’s when I expect it to end, yes.

1 Like

I just bought volume 21, and went to volume 22 to add it to my wishlist. Little did I know, that is actually the first volume of the next arc. So, I read the title and…

I am confusion

What?? Goddess? Where is that coming from?? I think ハルトムート called her that maybe once, but that’s it.
Also… Isn’t this bad? Like, really really bad? :joy: The Royalty is already suspicious of her. Her title as a Saint is going to cause issues, especially with the 中央神殿, right? The title of “goddess” will bring her nothing but trouble :thinking:

Also some thoughts on volume 20

I froze and stared at the text for an eternity, when it said フェルディナンド would go to アーレンスバッハ. That’s going to happen in about a year so… ローゼマイン, do something!! :pensive:
Also, my heart broke with that colored illustration. And I didn’t even know what would happen!

Every time I finished one of the volumes, I immediately continue with the next volume. I just love this story too much :persevere:

1 Like

Volume 20

I was thinking exactly the same thing.
Anyway, the arc title tells me she will become a goddess, so she can just screw the rules, right? Goddess is higher ranking that king, right?

Same… I think I cried at the time.

Haha, I know the feeling.

1 Like

Book 7, around 23% in.

Two questions

実際に使う時は熱湯で二十倍ほどに溶いて使うのだそうだ。

1. Is the meaning of 二十倍ほどに溶いて something along “it is dissolved with hot water 20 times”, as in “a 20 times thinned out substance”? I don’t know how to say it properly in English, lol.

2. Seems like there’s two readings for 熱湯: ねっとう (“boiling water”) and あつゆ (“warmer than usual bath”). Which one do you think fits this context the most? It’s about the 定着剤 that the mom is talking about which makes the colors not get mixed.

2 Likes

あつゆ is only a thing in onsen. So except if you are planning to make a weird therapeutic onsen, it would be the other one.

2 Likes

倍 is not “times” as in occurrences, but “times” as in 20 times as much. So it’s dissolved in 20 times as much boiling water.

Cool! That’s what I was trying to say, but eigo totemo muzukashii :durtle_durtverted_lvl1:

1 Like

IT’S HERE! VOLUME 28 JUST CAME OUT.

Well, I am still in the middle of 伯爵と妖精 6, but I’ll get to it just after.
The cover is just one big major spoiler, so you may want to remove me from Bookmeter for a week or two. Except if you feel confident in your ability to look away or in your inability to process the cover.

2 Likes