本好きの下剋上: Volume 3, Week 8 discussion

Join the Advanced Book Club here!

本好きの下剋上 Home Thread

Week 28

Start Date: February 27th
Previous week: Week 27
Next week: Week 29

Reading:

Chapters 21-23 (ベンノのお説教, 契約魔術と工房登録, 対策会議と神殿, 42 pages/ 10%)

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :books:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but haven’t reached that part yet
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

3 Likes
I have some trouble understanding the meaning of some sentences at the end of ch. 21

In the first of the two sentences, I get the impression that Benno is saying that マイン should carefully choose one of the (ten) nobles so that she won’t get one-sidedly exploited and so she can work together with them as a team. Does that sound correct?

And in the second sentence, is Benno saying that since she is going to be “snatched” by (one of) the nobles anyway, [if she picks a suitable noble to team up with] her path of options will spread out?

I think I’m confused by the される and who is doing what to whom.

Also, what does 飼い殺す mean exactly? :thinking: Doesn’t seem to have an entry in the dictionary. “Slave someone around”? “Feed and kill”?

3 Likes
Summary

Not exactly. The point is that, to survive, 身喰い have to make a contract with nobles. Usually (based on explanations from Frida), you don’t really get a choice in that matter, especially since, as a commoner, you can’t really refuse a contract with a noble. So you usually end up indeed in a “slave” kind of situation (飼い殺す).

Exploit them back. There’s no concept of team considering the difference in social status :sweat_smile:

That she is going to be snatched anyway, but at least she has more options as to who is doing the snatching.

The noble(s), to her.

3 Likes

Ohh! Got it, now it makes sense. Thanks, Nafu :grin:

2 Likes

I forgot to comment !!!

"this week spoiler

Beno has everything planned. He is a father figure for Mayne and Lutz. It seems Frida really hates Lutz. I was sure Frida only hated him because she wanted to be alone with Mayne but she is just Jealous though. Poor Lutz he is too nice to be hated. Talking about hate, I hate the 神殿(head priest?) just because she is not a noble doesn’t mean he can be an a****** about it. The blue one just standing there watching. At least his father was there to punch some sense into them. Until… The scene at the church got cut in half so I had to read the next chapter in advance. Not happening often but this time it was a must.

4 Likes

I don’t hate the 神殿. I think it’s a fine building :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

I mean the goal was for him to be hated so the author made a good job. I will speak more about it next week though

3 Likes

My point was that you meant 神殿長, not 神殿 :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I see now I see. By building I though you said world building. I know I already said it but I think I should learn to read someday.
悲しい

3 Likes

ohhh, what a sneaky entry :sweat_smile:

Not sure if it makes sense in relation to how it is used in Honzuki?? :thinking: Maybe I’m missing some details again

2 Likes

No it absolutely does. For instance, フリーダ is basically getting “hired” to be a concubine, which is completely unrelated to her skill set or wishes for the future.

3 Likes

Ohhh! I think I understand the meaning of the word now :laughing: Can’t believe I had to do some mental gymnastics for it to sit

2 Likes