本好きの下剋上: Volume 3, Week 5 discussion

Join the Advanced Book Club here!

本好きの下剋上 Home Thread

Week 25

Start Date: February 6th
Previous week: Week 24
Next week: Week 26

Reading:

Chapters 13-15 (既得権益と会合の結果, 工房選びと道具, ルッツの見習い準備, 46 pages/ 10%)

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :books:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but haven’t reached that part yet
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

3 Likes

Lots of technical stuff this week.

This week spoiler

The details of the magic contract were explained. It matches what Naphtalene told me last week.
Just to be sure:
-Beno has created the plant’s paper company.
-Mayne gave up her right to the paper making receipt?
-Otto helped Beno for money?
-They will start mass-producing paper.

I liked the “Lutz is buying merch” chapter. Beno living a completely different life. I also liked the “Beno is follow Mayne and Lutz” chapter. I was expecting more discussion between Mayne’s father and Beno.

I have a question about the second chapter when Otto and Beno speaks together
「家賃分以上働かされていると思うけど?」
“I think I need to work more than my rent?”
The way to it framed made it seemed like a snarky comment. I barely see it as a question. Any idea?

2 Likes

i think it’s more about benno making otto work more, hence the causative

2 Likes
Currently interrupting my reading session to report about this phrase I really enjoyed in chapter 13:

目玉が飛び出るほど高価だ。

4 Likes

Yes, as @yukine said, it’s “I think I’m being made to work more than the worth of my rent”. The question part is rhetorical. If you really want to translate it, it would become “or (am I wrong)?”

I’ll check your other questions later.

1 Like

So can I assume Beno pays the rent in exchange for Otto’s help? I don’t remember reading it but it does seem that way.

Benno is the owner, he just doesn’t ask for rent.

1 Like

make sense now thx

1 Like

I really liked chapter 13’s back and forth between the four of them!

My favorite part: 「……初耳ですけど?」(…)「今初めて言ったからな」 between Main and Benno. :smiley: Really set the tone! Though I do wonder how long Main will remain with her mindset of assuming everyone’s honest and innocent and trying to do good all the time.

6 Likes