本好きの下剋上: Volume 3, Week 4 discussion

Join the Advanced Book Club here!

本好きの下剋上 Home Thread

Week 24

Start Date: January 30th
Previous week: Week 23
Next week: Week 25

Reading:

Chapters 10-12 (ルッツへの報告, 紙作りの再開に向けて, 既得権益, 45 pages/ 10%)

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :books:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but haven’t reached that part yet
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

2 Likes
This week spoiler

The character I was supposed to change my mind about was Carla, was it? My mind hasn’t changed. She literally needed to be backed into a corner to start listening to Lutz. She never listened to him before. So yeah this is not redemption. This is just her having no choice but to accept. I must lift my hat to Lutz for having to guts to stand up to her and be ready to go to such lengths to be able to follow his dream.

I find it funny that Benno seemed to hate Otto when she says his name. Otto is not making any friend recently. Mayne and Lutz can finally make paper again. Poor Lutz having to get into the cold river.

For the magic contract, if anyone other than Mayne makes Trombe paper the contract will kill her, right? What kind of contract is that? Someone random could just make it in another country and she would die? Same for Lutz? What are these omnipotent contract? Weird way of working.

Oh well :woman_shrugging:

No, the contract will kill the random person. Even if they don’t know that they are breaking said contract. Effects are limited to the town.

3 Likes

That is pretty harsh. How wonder how that magic work. Could I get a magic contract giving right on everyone’s money? Can two magic contract that contradict each other exist at the same time? So many question. Now that I know they aren’t exclusive to the person in it, it feels like some kind of plot hole. What stops you then to write a magic contract forcing everyone to obey you?

We already know the answer to those questions from what was said. It is yes in both cases. In the case of the two contracts, that means people will break one of those and receive a penalty (possibly death).

The magic contracts are only handed over to trusted people, and they are overviewed by the local lord. So, nothing, but there will be consequences.
Ah, but in the case of forcing people to obey you, they would have to sign themselves.
Edit for clarification: I was under the impression that if you are named explicitly in a contract, you have to sign it for the contract to become valid. If you say “everyone”, then you have some door-to-door waiting for you.

I'm supposed to sleep, but here's a love letter to Carla instead :)

I liked Carla here. :woman_shrugging: She’s trying to make sure all her kids grow up able to take care of themselves, and that’s the one, secure way she knows. Thinking of how set in their ways people can become even today, I’m not surprised it takes a bit more to get someone to see a different viewpoint/way of doing things as valid in a time/world that is slow to change.

That she was able to set all that aside and support Lutz after she realized that he was serious, and that his older brothers treatment of him didn’t look like mere teasing from his perspective, that’s huge to me. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes, that was the chapter that really changed my view of her. :slight_smile:
I guess it will take a bit more for @icefang97 though :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes