本好きの下剋上 home thread

The penultimate week, shorter than average. Feel free to not stop and move on to the next part (and, say, the next 20 books or so as well :eyes:)

5 Likes

FYI, first three volumes free on bookwalker right now.

5 Likes

Same on kindle too :slight_smile: (along with a random discount on the sixth volume for some reason)

3 Likes

Well, this is it, friends. The last week of this (scheduled) bookclub. We now (well, next week technically) move on to a non-scheduled/general discussion.
Should we have a separate thread for that, or just use this one? (I feel the second option is less messy, but may cause some confusion for newcomers)

• New thread
  • Keep this one
  • Clicky click
0 voters

This week’s thread:

2 Likes

oops wront reply

i was reading 狼と香辛料. there was a traveling merchant wanting to set up a shop and telling someone to not become a traveling merchant. (not really a spoiler but better be safe than sorry) he made some scary remarks like knowing you’ll have a grave

Well, as per popular request, here’s the discussion thread:

Additionally, how about some polls?
How did you like the first arc (volumes 1-3)?

• 1 - hated it
  • 5 - loved it
0 voters

How hard did you find it?

• 1 - no effort
  • 5 - beyond my limits
0 voters

Are you planning to keep reading the series?

• I am already reading it
  • Yes, immediately
  • Yes, eventually
  • Maybe
  • Probably not
  • Definitely not
0 voters
3 Likes

Good news for anyone looking to buy more 本好き books! There is currently a 50% points sale on Amazon up through volume 22. :money_with_wings:

7 Likes

@seanblue you know what to do.

Interestingly they raised the prices a bit along with the points back sale. How odd.

@Naphthalene Thanks for the @. I’d stopped watching this thread, so I wouldn’t have seen @catbus’s post otherwise. I may have noticed on Amazon itself later, but still. By the way, is book 22 through the end of arc 4? If so I’ll probably just buy all the way through volume 22.

Do either of you know if you get points when buying with points? If so, I’ll buy them in batches so I can use the points accumulated from earlier purchases for later purchases. If not, I’ll just get a lot of points back for later I guess.

2 Likes

Volume 22 is the first volume of act 5. The person who’s setting up sales is a freaking tease. (Well, that’s on purpose I guess).

I haven’t used points in a while, but I think you only get points off of what you actually paid. You should check though.

2 Likes

Yeah, I had volumes 9-11 on my wishlist and they were ¥940 (now ¥1045).

You do get points when buying with points. They don’t reduce the points you receive if you buy using points. I bought one, waited for the points to show up, and then bought the next one using the points from the one before. Even with the inflated starting price, it’s worth it. I doubt I’ll see them again for effectively ¥522-¥561 (depending on the volume).

2 Likes

Nice!

I think I’ll probably just buy all of them through volume 22. I’m about 45% of the way through volume 8, and I’ve been enjoying it as much as always. Even when there’s little story progress, the characters and worldbuilding are still interesting. (And since it’s the start of an arc, it’s all setup, so no surprise there’s not much progress in half a book.) The chances of me dropping the series given my enjoyment so far is pretty low, so I might as well get it all on sale.

3 Likes

I bought 5 of the books in bulk since I needed to get a bunch for points before buying the rest anyway, but those points are taking forever to get added to my account…

EDIT: Oh, the order didn’t fully go through for some reason? How odd. It wants me to retry the order, but I’m concerned by this bad math, so I’m not sure what to do…

Well, I can’t repurchase the missing books (except one went through for some reason) until the failed order is fully canceled, which apparently make take up to 4 hours. So I currently have an awkward gap where I own books 1-13 and 18 and 19… I will be back tomorrow to hopefully buy 14-17 and 20-22.

2 Likes

It does take a while for the points to get added. I refreshed every couple of minutes while doing something else.

I’ve never had an order fail. :thinking: That “50%” points calculation would definitely give me pause. Hopefully you’ll get refunded quickly and everything will update with the correct numbers.

1 Like

The order didn’t go through, so the problem now is that I can’t purchase four of the books that it thinks I already have. Hopefully it clears up tomorrow.

2 Likes

@seanblue @catbus I see you added a bunch of books, probably getting spoiled a lot in the process :sweat_smile:
In a non-spoiler way, everytime I see the cover of volume 19 (which is a spoiler for people who haven’t finished arc 2), I wonder how it’s even possible proportion-wise. She has to be less than 1m tall… (don’t ask me how much that is in feet)

1 Like

I am trying my best not to look at covers and definitely not read titles. But it would be much easier if my purchases would go through!! Honestly, I suspect I’m screwed at this point, so I’m probably out of a discount on books 14-17. I’m definitely never using the buy in bulk feature again! :rage:

4 Likes

I ignore the titles, but I can’t help but look at the pictures. I feel like the actual chapter titles are worse spoilers than anything else. The first chapter about (Vol. 7, Ch. 2 spoiler) ディルク was the worst so far. You didn’t even have a chance to guess what was going on since the author told you right from the beginning. I guess at least I don’t have to worry about annoying cliffhangers that make me wonder what happens next. :thinking:

2 Likes

It looks like they added additional aspects to this sale. Volume 4 and volume 8 are now free again. If anyone doesn’t feel like buying all of the other volumes right now, you could at least pick those two up if you’re considering continuing the series. I’m assuming everyone already has volume 1 (it’s free as well).

They also cut the price in half for volume 9, and it still has 50% points back.

But I just bought volume 8 last week and I just bought volume 9 last night. :cry:

1 Like